DjangoBooks.com

Simplifying changes

Comments

Here's the new video from CVH where he gives his take on soloing using major scale

TwangPassacaglia
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • BonesBones Moderator
  • TwangTwang New

I've seen the Yaakov video. I think he's one of the better teachers out there.

billyshakes
  • TwangTwang New

Please stop I can't take anymore!!!

Seriously, this is great many thanks

Buco
  • BonesBones Moderator

Thanks for starting this thread Twang. It got me to try to incorporate into my playing. Lots of good info that I've been thinking about lately. Really makes soloing over some of these tunes a lot more fun and relaxing if not virtuosic...

• TwangTwang New

The Yaakov rhythm changes one is brilliant! Thanks Bones, I hadn't seen it before.

There is something about his teaching just clicks with me. As much as I think Christiaan deserves an OBE for services to Gypsy Jazz, I can't keep up with him. Horses for courses.

Looking at this Yaakov lesson inspired me to check his lessons out again. I always get a bit put off by the cost but it's a funny thing, I only ever bought one Yaakov lesson and that's his gypsy lick lesson. So you pay about $50 (can't remember exactly) for one lick! Now I'd love to go on about what a rip off that was but it's the most amazing lick I own and I use it all the time.

I suppose it's down to the old adage: Don't think of the cost think of the value

• billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E

@Twang I can see how one could get upset paying $50 for one lick...instead I like to look at how many hours of instruction you get. Consider your bog standard local musical store guitar teacher would charge $30+ for a half hour live lesson (of which some might be fluff/tuning/small talk/last lesson review/etc. Instead, you are getting several hours of lessons from one of the top GJ guitar teachers that are recorded that you can go over again and again for not much more (maybe even less when you work out the actual instruction time.)

I know you indicated in the end that you found the value--I'm just sharing how I think of it going in.