DjangoBooks.com

What are your favorite feelgood gipsy jazz recordings?

LarsLars New
in Repertoire Posts: 1

Looking for feelgood gipys jazz recordings, positive tunes, easygoing. Which are your favorite ones in this area?

Comments

• geese_comgeese_com Madison, WINew 503
    edited April 2020 Posts: 461

It is hard to beat this one ('ll See You In My Dreams). I am still amazed by it every time I hear it.

MichaelHorowitz
  • ChrisMartinChrisMartin Shellharbour NSW Australia✭✭ Di Mauro x2, Petrarca, Genovesi, Burns, Kremona Zornitsa & Paul Beuscher resonator.

There was a rush of energy on many of the early recordings of the Hot Club Quintet that is missing from everything that came since; try Chicago, Charleston, Nagasaki, Lambeth Walk and many more from that period.

Was there a competitive edge driving Django and Steph to push each other on?

Did the others - Joseph, Louis, Roger, Baro, Marcel and the rest pick up on this and join in?

That 'feel' is not something one can explain, quantify or transcribe, and it certainly can not be taught, but it is there alright.

Bucomac63000
  • everetteverett san francisco✭✭✭
    edited April 2020 Posts: 154

One of my favorite albums: https://www.amazon.com/Gypsy-Jive-Lou-Jivers/dp/B003KQW7HA

Louis is amazing, and I love the blend of South African songs and rhythms with the Django repertoire. You can't get more uplifting than Pata Pata...Worth buying and supporting local artists as well!

• MikeKMikeK Asheville, NCNew Altamira M-10, Epiphone Zephyr Regent

The ones that always put me in a lighter, happier mood are The Peanut Vendor and, as Chris Martin mentioned, The Lambeth Walk. Another, which tends to get overlooked at jams & gigs in my area, is You're Driving Me Crazy. I realize this is a subjective topic, but those are the ones that come to mind for me.