DjangoBooks.com

Guitar Player Magazine Reminder Article About Flying With A Guitar

2»

Comments

• geese_comgeese_com Madison, WINew 503

Now if only I can buy an AJL hard case. I think he does not sell them except with a guitar.

I bought one of these but unfortunately it does not fit my Busato sized guitar. I can put the guitar in but the lid won't close. https://www.guitarcenter.com/WolfPak/Acoustic-Guitar-Polyfoam-Case.gc

• Russell LetsonRussell Letson Prodigy

No gig bag is going to protect against crushing, which is a serious possibility in any baggage-handling situation. That's why my favored not-a-Calton solution is a polyfoam case with some rigid component, preferably the top/bottom panels. The (no-longer-produced) SuperCase is the best I've come across, with the Travelite line a decent alternative.

I don't know about other foam-case designs, but what I look for is a snug fit (though a bit of slop is OK and I don't want the lid pushing down on the top), enough foam to resist impact damage (that is, a long drop), and enough rigidity (top/back/sides) to resist crushing. Of course, if a baggage truck runs over it, nothing short of a Calton or Hoffee is going to stand a chance. Which is why I never want my guitar going through the regular baggage system--gate-checked bags are hand-loaded and available on the jetway.

geese_com

As Scott mentioned, make sure you board early. If you're on the plane early, you would have to be very unlucky to have any trouble. Every time I flew from Chicago to DiJ, I'd board early (on Southwest), go to the back of the plane, put my guitar in the overhead and put a jacket on the top and bunch it up. There's a chance someone else going to DiJ is on the same flight so you use the same overhead for both guitars, happened to me.

Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel