DjangoBooks.com

Manouchepicks mic/pickup

I’m on the verge of getting the Manouchepicks mic based on positive reviews on this forum and a few soundclips I’ve heard. I can’t decide on getting it with the long cable or the version that attaches to the tailpiece. I was wondering if the guitar or mic socket could easily be damaged attached to the tailpiece the way it is. I’m often chucking my guitar in a gig bag. The only negative I can think of with the long cable is the mic has to be attached everytime you want to use it. I can’t see this being that much of a disadvantage. Also I play acoustic most of the time so the thing might get on my nerves stuck on the guitar. Most pickups look ugly to me except stimer styles. This is, of course, subjective and not a criticism. What are other users thoughts?

Comments

• richter4208richter4208 ✭✭✭

Curious where you have heard good demos? The ones I've heard haven't made too interested.

• TwangTwang New

On the Manouchepicks facebook page and also Irene whatshername on youtube when she visits the workshop.

• everetteverett san francisco✭✭✭

maybe I got a bad one...I cannot get a good sound with mine. I have to crank my amp, and the sound is very harsh even with the tone rolled off. Maybe I need a preamp with it. Compared to the Carlos cs sensor which seems to have a good level and tone. I’ve tried them both on multiple guitars and amps.

• rudolfochristrudolfochrist Worms, GermanyNew Dupont MD-100

When I got mine I plugged it into my Compact 60 and was really pleased with the sound. Very feedback resistant but still acoustic. Then I had an outdoor gig and chose to use the Manouche Picks mic. That was a mistake. It failed me miserably. My sound was completely flat. No bass at all. The rest was clanking and metallic. I was playing through a different Compact 60 (not mine), but I would argue if that makes any difference. Playing through LR Baggs preamp directly connected to PA wasn’t any better.

Since then, it is sitting in a drawer at home. Perhaps the sound improves when it is attached on the inside. Haven’t tried that.

If you go an oder one yourself I would recommend the tailpiece attachable one. It looks sturdy and shouldn’t be damaged easily even if it gets chucked in a gig bag.

• TDogTDog Victoria, BCNew Shelley Park Montmartre; Cigano GJ 5

Mine has the tailpiece attachment - it's a little flimsy. It's fine in a case, but I don't know that I would want to have it in a gig bag if I was wearing it with shoulder straps (ie with the guitar resting on the mic).

I have played indoor and outdoor gigs with it and have been happy with sound.

My band mate has the Carlos CS which also sounds good and attaches with velcro so it can be easily removed, which seems like a better system.

• TwangTwang New

Many thanks for the feedback. I’m gonna have another think about this. The trouble with most demos online is you never know how much of what you’re hearing is the acoustic guitar itself. Thus rendering them pretty useless. I have an AER and a baggs venue pre-amp. I bought a Schertler dyn g many years ago and sold it pretty quickly cos I couldn’t get a sound I liked out of it.

@bopster Paul has a great demo where he completely separated amp audio from the acoustic guitar sound. Paul can you link it, I thought it was on your YouTube channel but didn't see it there.

Twang
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • bopsterbopster St. Louis, MOProdigy Wide Sky PL-1, 1940? French mystery guitar, ‘37 L-4
    edited December 2019 Posts: 513

Bučo - for some reason I didn’t get any notification of your reference to me. Here’s that video!

BucoTwang