DjangoBooks.com

World-Class GJ players who DON’T use “Gypsy Picking”/Rest Stroke Technique?

2»

Comments

• geese_comgeese_com Madison, WINew 503

How could I forget Sandro Lorier. He was at the Midwest Gypsy Swing Fest with his father, Paquito, and they were amazing. They even hung around and jammed around the campfire afterwards.

BucoBoneswim
  • BonesBones Moderator

That's really cool. thanks for posting it.

Here's a couple other angles that show his technique.

• JimfogJimfog

Thanks, all. I'm glad I asked. It brought some great responses.

Scoredog
  • DragonPLDragonPL Maryland✭✭ Dupont MD 50-XL (Favino), Michael Dunn Stardust, Castelluccia Tears, Yunzhi gypsy jazz guitar, Gitane DG-320, DG-250M and DG-250
    edited November 2019 Posts: 172

When I think of "Gypsy Picking" I think of Django, Jimmy Rosenberg, Moreno, Raphael Fays etc. Most of todays players, if you won't see them, you won't know they use Gypsy Picking because they do not sound like it (even though some do). GypsyPicking like with the aforementioned players, does get you a different feel, but the modern "gypsy" way sounds nothing like classic Jimmy,Moreno, Raphael.

In another post on the topic Michael H. wrote "if you don't play with Gypsy Picking it'd be like speaking a language with an accent". Well, women like a sexy accent, so if it sounds good, swings, it is good.

Jimfog
  • crookedpinkycrookedpinky Glasgow✭✭✭✭ Alex Bishop D Hole, Altamira M & JWC D hole

Sorry to be a bit of a heretic, maybe. I bought Gypsy Picking when I started out a number of years ago but, and maybe it was just me, it didn't make any sense to me at all.After a number of 'lessone' and workshops with different gypsy players I became even more confused with each of them suggesting something slightly different when it came to picking. So, basically, I found my own way which works for me. Do I sound like a genuine gypsy ? No, but then I'm not a gypsy. Do I sound musically acceptable ? I think so and a few others, inckuding the amazing Paulus Schafer and Tim Kliphuis agree that I am. So, that'll do for me.

JimfogDragonPLBones
    always learning