DjangoBooks.com

banjo guitar

nicksansonenicksansone Amsterdam, The Netherlands✭✭✭✭
edited September 2019 in Welcome Posts: 274

I read somewhere online that Django played a Clavero banjo guitar ( not that that means much).. I happened to pick one up and restored it..

Its definitely got the smaller head and thinner body like the one in the picture of him with one.. any ideas??

MichaelHorowitzBuco

Comments

• Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator

I’ll give you fifty bucks for that thing, Nick!

BillDaCostaWilliamsBuco
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
  • nicksansonenicksansone Amsterdam, The Netherlands✭✭✭✭

cute, not particularly the kind of information I was looking for, but pretty much par for the course on the forum :)

• Looks awesome, very interesting instrument. Would love to hear what it sounds like.

Played some Django changes on a country style resonator recently - the kind that is often used for steel guitar - and the percussive impact was terrific. I imagine this banjo guitar is similar.

Please, post a recording.

--Bill

• t-birdt-bird Portland, Oregon Castelluccia Nuages, Dupont Nomade

A bit cynical for a forum that has been referred to as "the nicest place on the internet."

Bones

ok, well, thank you Billy Breard for sharing a nice story directly related to my post. T-bird, I think I am allowed to say that someone's comment is cute but unhelpful, that's my prerogative. You can sit at home and pass moral judgement all you like, but I don't have time for it.

If anyone has any actual information about this particular instrument or history of Django's banjo guitar itself, please message me directly, as things have gone immediately off the rails with this rather simple post request.

• QuadropentaQuadropenta New England USANew
    edited September 2019 Posts: 116

Here's a discussion from a banjo site:

nicksansone
  • Looks amazing! I just saw an similar 6 string banjo for sale that needs a restoration job, by Sicilian Stefano Caponnetto. Looks like you did a nice job!

• How does it sound?

edited September 2019 Posts: 274

Thanks Charlie, I'll post a sound clip soon. It's very loud, and with the smaller head size and thinner depth of body, it doesn't have as much bass as of some banjo guitars that I've tried, but the highs are ridiculously strong. I'd love to see the link to the Caponnetto if you have it!

• Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator

Sorry, Nick. Didn’t mean to annoy...

Will

Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."