DjangoBooks.com

Broken Gitane DG 255

Hi guys. I have the chance to buy a DG 255 for £200! Only problem is that the slotted headstock has split off. It looks like a fairly clean break, I'm thinking that a good glue and clamp will hold it? Does any one have any experience with a break like this?

Thanks

Comments

• BonesBones Moderator

Make sure all the pieces of wood are there. Even any little chips. Easier to glue the original pieces back in than to try to fit new ones. Should be fixable judging by the picture.

• jonpowljonpowl Hercules, CA✭✭✭ Dupont MD-100, Altamira M01F

Personally, I would offer a whole lot less. I owned a DG-255, and while it was structurally sound, it had a real overtone problem. I like my Cigano Gj-10 a whole lot better.

• edited August 2019 Posts: 1,231

<Edited>

I just wouldn't. I understand wanting to find something that fits this style. I personally do not feel like these are worth it.

• jeffmatzjeffmatz ChicagoNew

Oof...

That's a bad place for a break...gonna want a good pro repair done on that. Gonna cost as much as you're paying for the guitar. Suddenly not as good of a deal.

• jbrojuniorjbrojunior New Yunzhi Archtop

@jeffmatz I have got two quotes so far. One for £200-250 and one for £35. Not quite sure how that works out. The more expensive guy is probably the one I trust more with this type of repair...

• BonesBones Moderator
    edited August 2019 Posts: 3,319

How much is a used DG-255 without any issues worth? Take that number, subtract off the 250 for the repairs, divide by like 2 or 3 (I guess) since even if it is repaired it is flawed, and that's probably a good price???

Jim KaznoskyBuco
  • everetteverett san francisco✭✭✭

I would put some wood glue, and some wood screws and call it a day. It doesn't need to look pretty...just stay in tune and not fall apart!

• guitarmikeguitarmike Montreal, Quebec✭✭ Old French Gypsy Guitar

Wood glue, clamp, new strings, tuning, enjoy. In that particular order.

• Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator

Trouble is, a repair job for this kind of “head” injury may not last forever... as my busted banjo could testify if it ever came out of the closet!

jbro, if you are planning to keep this instrument forever, I would say NO, don’t buy it.

But if you are looking for a beginner guitar which you can resell in the next few years, then YES, go ahead, assuming that the price is really good...

Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
  • crookedpinkycrookedpinky Glasgow✭✭✭✭ Alex Bishop D Hole, Altamira M & JWC D hole

I would buy it and, if it's a clean break, glue and clamp it using cascamite glue and then two short dowels at the ends of the broken section. For 200 quid I think it's not bad.

AndrewUlle
    always learning