DjangoBooks.com

APC Luthier Guitar

Hey guys I need your opinions.

I have the opportunity to buy an APC Luthier guitar (https://apc-instruments.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=19467&productid=610) used for £290 ($350).

This I think is the same model Nuno Marinho plays. I know they make some cheap models but their Luthier ones are supposedly the top line they do. It's all solid wood and says it weighs about 4.1lb which isnt too heavy.

It would be my first gypsy guitar and I was looking for a Cigano GJ10 but English prices and availability are making that hard.

Thanks

Comments

• ChrisMartinChrisMartin Shellharbour NSW Australia✭✭ Di Mauro x2, Petrarca, Genovesi, Burns, Kremona Zornitsa & Paul Beuscher resonator.

Well first up you will not get anyone on here to recommend it. The usual replies would be like “Chinese cheap junk” or often “wait and save for something better” but for that price it might be worth a try. For a beginner it should be ok, and anyway it is the strings, the pick and the fingers that contribute most to the tone, if you don’t get those working together even a Selmer/Busato/Favino can’t make you a good player. Another alternative that CAN be found way cheaper than a Cigano is the Aria MM20, I had one and it stood up ok against many luthier made guitars.

• BillDaCostaWilliamsBillDaCostaWilliams Barreiro, Portugal✭✭✭ Mateos, Altamira M01F, Huttl
  • jbrojuniorjbrojunior New Yunzhi Archtop

Thanks for the replies guys, I have seen a few of the Arias about and wondered. I played a Cigano gj5 at the weekend and liked it, but then played a Gitane Dg310 and obviously felt the difference in a real gypsy guitar. I know I shouldn't compare the two but now I'm thinking I should save up and get something decent.

• jeffmatzjeffmatz ChicagoNew

I'd take a Cigano over that Gitane, honestly.

To me, the Gitanes are prettier, but not better.

wim
  • jbrojuniorjbrojunior New Yunzhi Archtop

@jeffmatz To be fair, the Gitane had been set up and had new strings etc, where as the Cigano was from factory. Perhaps I will just wait for a reasonably priced GJ 10 to come along and then saving will be alot more enjoyable.

• jonpowljonpowl Hercules, CA✭✭✭ Dupont MD-100, Altamira M01F

I've owned a Paris Swing GG-39, Gitane DG-255 and Cigano GJ-10 and the Cigano rules! I love my Dupont, but some days it stays in the case and I only play the Cigano, which lives on the stand ready to play.

Charlie Castelluzzo