DjangoBooks.com

Jam Partners in Seattle?

beatnicbeatnic New
in Welcome Posts: 2

Hello! I'm a relative beginner to gypsy jazz guitar looking for some patient musicians to jam with in the Seattle area... anyone out there?

-nic

Comments

• JoseJose Minneapolis New DuPont MD 50

Hi Nic, I don’t know how much of a beginner you are but make sure to have your rhythm down(la pompe) if you want to jam with more experienced players, you can always try to jam with Backing tracks, there are some good ones on YouTube, I know it won’t be the same but at least you can practice. You should also try to post to your local guitar shops, It is easier to meet more players that way in my opinion.

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    edited August 2019 Posts: 6,153

@beatnic Victor Horky was running an open jam in Seattle for a while. Contact him to see if it's still going on:

https://www.facebook.com/silkroadswing/

• beatnicbeatnic New

Thanks, gents!

• wottsupwottsup New

Hey guys, any update for this feed? For Gypsy Jams in the Seattle or just in WA in general? About to move to the area. I play upright but can hold it down on guitar too!

• elbascoelbasco New
    edited May 2021 Posts: 7

mind you this is all stale info since Covid, but Seattle area has a great scene but I don’t know of any standing jams. Jazz Night School usually has 1-2 gypsy jazz groups that are probably good to meet some locals, and they used to host jam sessions as well. The main way to meet locals is Djangofest Northwest which is where all the locals check in each year on Whidbey Island (as well as the not-locals), really easy to find people at your speed and zip code.

• alexanderlewalexanderlew Seattle, WANew Alain Mazaud Vieux Paris | Weber Bitterroot F mandolin

Hi everyone- I wanted to revive this thread to let people know of a standing Monday night acoustic swing jam that I co-host every other week at 8pm at the Hidden Door on Aurora at 145th Street in Shoreline. Generally skews gypsy jazz, but we also do a fair number of regular jazz standards.

Check the calendar on the meet-up page since sometimes we do switch dates (off-weeks are a bluegrass jam): https://www.meetup.com/seattlejams/events/

Bucorubenraychaudmac63000
  • mac63000mac63000 Tacoma, WANew Geronimo Mateos Jazz B

Bit far from Tacoma but I'd be down for a jam or two sometime, I'm often in the area. I'll keep this one in mind, thanks!

Matt

• PhilCPhilC Graham, WANew Accordion - Petosa
    edited August 2022 Posts: 1

Hey Matt,

Do you play guitar? I play accordion and would love to jam with some gypsy jazz players. I live in Graham, but would be down to go to Tacoma. Thanks,

Phil

[email protected]

mac63000
  • mac63000mac63000 Tacoma, WANew Geronimo Mateos Jazz B

Hey @PhilC yeah I do! It'd be great to get together for a jam. I've never accompanied an accordion but i can hear various musettes in our future! I'll send you a message. Nice to meet you!

Matt

• tomjebotomjebo New

@alexanderlew Will there be a jam session tonight at the Hidden Door in Shoreline? I don't see any info about it on MeetUp.

Tom