DjangoBooks.com

Chords for “Angel Eyes”

ChiefbigeasyChiefbigeasy New Orleans, LA✭✭✭ Dupont MDC 50; The Loar LH6, AJL Silent Guitar
in Repertoire Posts: 335

Anybody got a good arrangement of “Angel Eyes”?

Comments

• spatzospatzo Virtuoso
    edited July 2019 Posts: 768
  • Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator

Great tune! which sounds like it came from a film noir film.

I play this one using a BIAB backing track when I do my occasional solo shtick.

I transposed it to the guitar-friendly key of Am and so far the Jazz Police haven’t caught on...

Will

Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
  • AndyWAndyW Glasgow Scotland UK✭✭✭ Clarinets & Saxes- Selmer, Conn, Buescher, Leblanc et.al. // Guitars: Gerome, Caponnetto, Napoli, Musicalia, Bucolo, Sanchez et. al.
    edited July 2019 Posts: 600

not sure what's in the real book or what the official changes are,

i've always liked playing the first four bars:

||Cm / D7b5 G7b9 | Cm / Ab7 / | Cm / Am7b5 / | Dm7b5 / G7b9 / | etc

I nicked that from Sonny Stitt: this is guitar-free, but worth a listen- he died a few weeks later.

• spatzospatzo Virtuoso

Here's one!

• edited July 2019 Posts: 4,732

We used to play it in G- to fit the vocalist. I really liked it in that key too because of the fat G-6.

Here's how I liked to play it. I liked going to both Db7 and G7 at the end of first and fourth bars so I mix it up. Db7, bar 1, creates more tension and G7, in bar 4, more of a resolution. Only real change I did compared to the charts I've seen is in the 2nd half of bar 5. They always call for alt7 chord and to me m7b5 makes much more sense.

Peter Skrabak is amazing!!!

Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • ChiefbigeasyChiefbigeasy New Orleans, LA✭✭✭ Dupont MDC 50; The Loar LH6, AJL Silent Guitar

Thanks, everyone. Lots of good ideas here. Now, just need to figure out the singer’s key. . . .

• AndyWAndyW Glasgow Scotland UK✭✭✭ Clarinets & Saxes- Selmer, Conn, Buescher, Leblanc et.al. // Guitars: Gerome, Caponnetto, Napoli, Musicalia, Bucolo, Sanchez et. al.
    edited July 2019 Posts: 600

Frank Vignola's solo version [ from the related AE thread ]