DjangoBooks.com

For Sale (Trades Considered) - 1947 Epiphone Deluxe noncutaway with original hardshell case

Ted GottsegenTed Gottsegen Rowayton, CTModerator
in Classifieds Posts: 611

Hi Friends,

Last summer I got hired for some studio and television work and needed a period correct instrument so I got this amazing guitar. I've got a different archtop that is my go-to and this is languishing so I'm looking to move it along. The person who had it before me was Ry Cooder and he's responsible for the missing pick guard. He said he lost it. The description text below was taken from the website of the shop in NYC where it's currently consigned. If you're interested in a trade (1980's-Present Jean-Pierre Favino only) reach out!

This Deluxe carries a serial number dating it to 1947, just after the end WWII. This was a high production period for Epiphone, likely due to a backlog of orders held off during wartime. It is a great example of the more refined, "perfected" swing-era Deluxe. 

The 5-piece laminated neck is slimmer than the older models with just a hint of a "V" profile. The original "E"-marked enclosed Epiphone tuners with shaped catalin buttons and the gold-plated "Frequensator" two-part tailpiece are hallmarks of this period. The 17 3/8" wide body is bound in 5-ply celluloid and the finish is a deep and fairly subtle sunburst showing off a bit of curl on the maple back. 

The sound is both rich and powerful, with the definition Epiphones are known for. We are always pleased to offer these top-line Epiphones; they are not only great guitars, but a huge part of the New York area musical heritage.

Overall length is 42 in. (106.7 cm.), 17 3/8 in. (44.1 cm.) wide at lower bout, and 3 1/4 in. (8.3 cm.) in depth at side, taken at the end block. Scale length is 25 1/2 in. (648 mm.). Width of nut is 1 11/16 in. (43 mm.).  

This is a lovely just-post WWII Deluxe in far better shape than many; a superb-looking and sounding guitar. The finish overall is well-preserved, with just some light wear...mostly small dings and dents to the top, including pickwear into but not through the finish. There is an old clear overspray to the back of the neck only. 

There is a dark stain and some minor disturbances to the finish on the top near the fingerboard related to a floating pickup mounted there at some point. The neck looks to have been reset some time ago and there is a bit of typical touchup around the edges of the heel; visible, but inconspicuous. 

The guitar retains its original hardware including the rosewood adjustable bridge, gold-plated Frequensator tailpiece, and Epiphone individual enclosed gold-plated tuners. The only missing piece is the pickguard. Overall a superb postwar swing guitar; one of the nicest '40s Epiphones we have had with a huge sound. It still lives in a well-preserved original HSC with some old travel stickers on the lid. Excellent - Condition. 

Bill Da Costa WilliamsBonesrudolfo.christWim Glenn

Comments