DjangoBooks.com

Gwen Cahue - Memories of Paris

2»

Comments

• AndyWAndyW Glasgow Scotland UK✭✭✭ Clarinets & Saxes- Selmer, Conn, Buescher, Leblanc et.al. // Guitars: Gerome, Caponnetto, Napoli, Musicalia, Bucolo, Sanchez et. al.
    Drifting OT, but accordeoniste Richard Galliano has a tune called 'spleen' which is worth a listen ( he might be on accordina here )
  • wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
    edited April 2019 Posts: 1,457
    PapsPier wrote: »
    And Buco, to be accurate, Gwen Cahue does not live in Paris, but around Nantes (hence the name Memories of Paris).

Gwen was living in Paris before moving, though, and you can hear the influence in the playing. When I was living there (around 2014) he was hosting a weekly boeuf at Trudain's Cafe in 75009

As for the magic potion they're all drinking in Paris, I think it's Kronenbourg 1664?
    BucoBillDaCostaWilliams
  • wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
    PapsPier wrote: »
    He is also doing a great job accompanying a singer who had an original voice: Melkoni project.

That chanteuse (Louise Perret) is very good! Did you see the indifference video, this is a really hard song for singers. But she hits everything and they throw in a key change at the end

ChrisMartinnomadgtrBillDaCostaWilliams
  • PapsPierPapsPier ✭✭
    Yes I put only one song of their project but all of them are worth a listening. Her voice is so special that I thought it borderline annoying at first but the more I listen the more I love it.

(And I forgot to explicitly write that part but yes he lived in Paris. In my mind he called his album Memories of Paris bc he used to live in Paris and now, in nantes, he recalls souvenirs from Paris.)
  • AndrewLawrenceAndrewLawrence Northampton, MA✭✭
    Sounds great, thanks for sharing. We'll have the two accompanists you hear with Gwen here at Django in June this year -- William Brunard and Julien Cattiaux. But, as yet, no Gwen.
  • AndrewLawrenceAndrewLawrence Northampton, MA✭✭

Happy to come across this thread again, and to report that this year Gwen himself (and the other members of his quartet) will be joining us at Django in June in 2020. I know, I know...it's about time.

~Andrew

rudolfochristBucowimadrianJosechiky
  • nomadgtrnomadgtr Colorado Bumgarner, Marin, Holo, Barault
    edited December 2020 Posts: 123

Resurrecting this thread again. Gwen did another CD called Acoustic Session with Daniel Givone. It didn't get a lot of fanfare but I just received a copy from Gwen this week and it's really incredible. Here's a video they did for one of the tunes. Gwen also hinted to me that they may release a CD of the Melkoni Project with Louise Perrett which was mentioned earlier in this thread. Gwen's influences blend together well in his work and I find it very captivating and fresh.

BucowimBonesbillyshakesrudolfochristBillDaCostaWilliams
  • BillDaCostaWilliamsBillDaCostaWilliams Barreiro, Portugal✭✭✭ Mateos, Altamira M01F, Huttl

PapsPier wrote

And I forgot to explicitly write that part but yes he lived in Paris. In my mind he called his album Memories of Paris bc he used to live in Paris and now, in nantes, he recalls souvenirs from Paris

Great album.

The theme Memories of Paris was composed by Michel Petrucciani I now see.