Logo
Call Us
Categories

DjangoBooks.com

Welcome to our Community!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Today's Birthdays

VBoose RLW abluesky Repassažanka Malcolm26K

Related Discussions

Who's Online (2)

• jonpowl 11:45AM
  • richter4208 11:45AM

Refretting a petite bouche

Anyone on here fluent with refretting the small sound hole selmer style guitars? I like using the taylor fret buck for supporting the fret board tongue when I tap in and press/glue the frets. I don't think my fret buck is gonna' fit in this small soundhole though. Any tips and tricks or should I just slightly enlarge the fret slots over the body? FWIW, it's my personal guitar. Maybe the stew mac jaws 2 would work?

Comments

• BonesBones Moderator
    I just try to hold a metal mass in there as best as I can and, yes, I slightly enlarge the fret slots in that area and run a little Titebond in the slot to lubricate and refill the gap a bit from enlarging the slot. But I'm just a recreational builder so maybe one of the pros will chime in.
  • Thanks for the response bones. Do you clamp down those fretboard tongue frets when you glue them?
  • BonesBones Moderator
    No they are still just held in by the barbs. I just widen the slots a tiny bit so I don't have to pound them in so hard over the body.
  • BonesBones Moderator
    How'd it go Don? In my experience, without anything much backing up the soundboard, there is too much bounce/recoil to the top and you can't get a solid hammer blow. So if the slots are tight you can't just pound them in. That's why I widen the slots just a TINY bit so the tangs go in easier. Plus the liquid Titebond lubricates a bit to further ease the fret in but then hardens later to fill the slightly widened slot. Also a good idea to put just a TINY bevel on the top edge of the slot (and I mean tiny) to ease the barbs in.
  • Andrew UlleAndrew Ulle Cleveland, OH✭✭✭ Antoine DiMauro modele Django
    This suggestion may be totally off-base, but could you use a C-clamp arrangement and press in the frets instead of pounding them in?
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Yeah I think that would be possible. Maybe rig up some sort of custom fixture with a c-clamp or two???