DjangoBooks.com

Hand Position

James UKJames UK New
edited May 2006 in Gypsy Picking Posts: 12
Hi

I wonder if someone can help me out.

I am finding that my picking hand tends to wonder over the sound-hole. I think the problem is that i am not arching my wrist enough because when i arch my wrist my picking takes place in between the sound hole and bridge as described in the book.

I measured the distance between the top of the guitar and my wrist to help explain the above point. When i arch my wrist so the picking is between the bridge and the sound hole the distance is approx 3 and 1/2 inches. Does this sound about right?

Also when picking i seem to twist the pick around slightly so that part of the edge of the pick hits the string instead of all of the flat surface of the pick. Is this incorrect? I know from reading previous threads that people tend to do this on fast chromatic runs but my question is, Is it bad practice to do it all the time?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Hi James...if you can post a photo it would help. But generally it sounds like you're doing it correctly. Both your hand position and angle of attack sound good.

Traditionally Gypsies pick closer to the bridge. But picking over the sound hole it by no means bad...Jimmy Rosenberg does this a lot...it give you a sweet tone!

'm
  • James UKJames UK New
    Thanks for responding.

I've taken some photos.

Any comments on if i'm holding the pick correctly would also be much appreciated.

Cheers

James
    edited May 2006 Posts: 6,153
    Hi James,

The fourth photo looks good...your wrist it too straight in the earlier photos. Also, your angle of attack is not ideal in the first two. In third photo it looks like you're getting more of a 45 degree angle of attack, which is what you want.

Good luck!

-Michael
  • James UKJames UK New
    Now i'm really confused. :D

To me in the third photo down my wrist appears dead straight.

With regards to the 45 degree angle, i rotate the wrist so that the tip of the pick points more towards the ceiling and the back of the pick more towards the floor. I believe i'm ok on this point.

James
    Sorry..I meant FOURTH photo!
  • James UKJames UK New
    Excellent.

I get it now.

Thanks Michael