DjangoBooks.com

Stagg JZ120

Hi everyone,
I'm new to the forum and just getting started with gypsy jazz guitar. I own many guitars and am used to setting them up and repairing them. I found a used Stagg JZ120 which had rusty metal strings on it. I ordered Argentine 1610's for it. In the process of fully cleaning the guitar, I noticed that the fretboard has a perfectly flat radius which is common on classical guitars. Hence my question: will this guitar accomodate for silver/copper strings or should it have nylon strings? Thanks for reading this post. I'm so glad I found this forum, I have so much to learn about gypsy jazz and DR in particular.

Comments

• crookedpinkycrookedpinky Glasgow✭✭✭✭ Alex Bishop D Hole, Altamira M & JWC D hole
    Nope it should have steel Argentines or similar. You'd struggle to attach nylon strings. A lot of old Gypsy guitars have a flat fingerboard. Good luck with your Gypsy Jazz adventures.
    always learning
  • mschafftmschafft New
    edited November 2018 Posts: 25
    Thanks a lot !! I'm practcising the chords to Minor Swing for a start.
  • Russell LetsonRussell Letson Prodigy
    It's not fingerboard radius that affects string choice but overall structure, particularly top bracing. FWIW, my Michael Dunn Daphne has a flat fingerboard but is otherwise a steel-string instrument--in fact, I understand that Michael used to put phosphor bronzes on his instruments.
  • mschafftmschafft New
    edited November 2018 Posts: 25
    That makes perfect sense. Thanks for chiming in!
  • mschafftmschafft New
    edited December 2018 Posts: 25
    Hey. This is just to say that I've cut a bone saddle for the adjustable rosewood bridge. Action and intonation are spot on. Very comfortable 2 1/8' string spacing with accurately spaced slots. The neck is straight and plays well. The tone is very nice with the 10-45 Argentine and 1.5 mm Dunlop crocodile pick. I'm practicing the first bars to Minor Swing at 150 bpm, it's as addictive as it is challenging. I'm working on the rhythm guitar as well. Now that it's been set up right I'm digging the Stagg!
    Bucomac63000
  • mschafftmschafft New
    edited December 2018 Posts: 25
    And even cut rosewood mustaches on this rainy Sunday. Sounds, plays and looks much better now!
  • crookedpinkycrookedpinky Glasgow✭✭✭✭ Alex Bishop D Hole, Altamira M & JWC D hole
    Great stuff. Did it come with an adjustable bridge ?
    always learning
    Yeah if it's an archtop thumbwheel adjustable bridge, you'll likely get even better sound if you get a bridge for gypsy guitar.
    Sounds like you're good with your hands so you could modify the top of the bridge to use different height bone inserts to adjust the action. That's what Hahl is doing on his guitars.
    stefan-hahl-deluxe-gitano-2011-front.jpg
    mschafft
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel