DjangoBooks.com

Visiting London England May 2019

Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
in Welcome Posts: 1,855
Hello to all our GJ buddies in London, England.

My wife wants me to take her to your lovely city again.

We go over there every few years and visit her cousin in Essex.

Anyway...

Are there cool clubs there where you see great acoustic guitarists, whether GJ or otherwise?

I'd also be interested in bands that play music from the 20's and 30's... last time there we saw a fabulous stride piano player in a pub down a little Harry Potter-esque alley near Liverpool Station... anybody know the place I mean?

I'd also like to meet and hang out with other musicians and smoke Louis Armstrong cigarettes.

PM me if you prefer, but otherwise feel free to chime in...

Will Wilson

Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."

Comments

• adrianadrian AmsterdamVirtuoso
    Don't miss Kansas Smitty's for old-school live jazz. Super cool vibe and great music.

Also seek out where Kourosh Kanani is playing.
  • wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
    England has a decent scene, though it pales in comparison to the continent.

Kourosh has residency at Brasserie Zedel, right near Piccadilly Circus.
    https://www.brasseriezedel.com/live-at-zedel/brasserie-kourosh-kanani-1

I second the recommendation to check out Kansas Smitty's, that's Giacomo Smith's band. Great stuff.

Lisa's house band is GJ, I think that's still Robin Katz's gig, up near portabello rd.
    http://www.lisasportobello.com/events/

There is a regular (fortnightly?) jam at Oddfellow's arms in Pinner
    https://en-gb.facebook.com/events/1901047083457546/

Cafe Manouche have regular gigs but I'm not sure if they have a residency currently..
    http://www.cafemanouche.co.uk

Enjoy
  • ChrisMartinChrisMartin Shellharbour NSW Australia✭✭ Di Mauro x2, Petrarca, Genovesi, Burns, Kremona Zornitsa & Paul Beuscher resonator.
    Hello to all our GJ buddies in London, England.

My wife wants me to take her to your lovely city again.

We go over there every few years and visit her cousin in Essex.

............ last time there we saw a fabulous stride piano player in a pub down a little Harry Potter-esque alley near Liverpool Station... anybody know the place I mean?
    If you were in London and heading for Essex I suspect you were near Liverpool STREET Station rather than Liverpool Station; these two places are a couple of hundred miles apart.

But talking of Liverpool, you can check with Gary Potter (no relation to Harry) on Facebook to ask if he is playing in London;

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100008958161154

Or check here to see if the excellent Dave Kelbie is in town;

https://lejazzetal.com/events/

Another venue to try is Le Quecumbar in Battersea which is just a few miles across the river;

https://www.quecumbar.co.uk/music-calendar

For general 'whats on?' info grab a copy of Time Out magazine when you get there, the best single source for all music listings, they also have a website but it does not list all the small gigs going on every night.

Anyway, while you are there, say hello to Mom and tell her I sent you, and she'll make a nice cup of tea!
  • Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
    Thanks, everyone, this sounds very promising. I'm going to check back again in mid-April to get ready to hit all the hot spots in May!

Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
  • stuologystuology New
    Le Quecumbar is a must-see, not liked by everyone but it’s still a destination for any Gypsy jazz tourist. Jams are every Tuesday.

I think the Pinner jam has wound up.

Matt Holborn’s band Latchepen (with Kourosh) are worth looking out for.

As a guitar tourist I would definitely head over to Denmark Street, not a patch on what it used to be but still a street of guitar shops. You will be lucky to find a gypsy guitar but Hobgoblin and the famous Ivor Maraints are not far away and both have jazz guitars.
    Sorry my friend,but London sucks!But try Zelda brasserie (never been there) this one look better than other places.Le Quecumbar offers time to time good concert but that's very rare anymore.Good luck.
  • ChrisMartinChrisMartin Shellharbour NSW Australia✭✭ Di Mauro x2, Petrarca, Genovesi, Burns, Kremona Zornitsa & Paul Beuscher resonator.
    Sorry my friend,but London sucks!But try Zelda brasserie (never been there) this one look better than other places.Le Quecumbar offers time to time good concert but that's very rare anymore.Good luck.
    Wow, somebody must have a bad trip!

• edited October 2018 Posts: 13
    Well I actually live in sucking London.This dirty stinky shity is good just for rich ignorants sadists to run business.
    Impossible to find even rythm player.Much fame bubbles and poor gypsy swing music.
    wim

Well I actually live in sucking London
    We would never have guessed; English is obviously not your native language, and you recommend a place you have never been to. Maybe some more constructive tips might help Lango-Django who seems to like the place anyway. If I get back there before he goes next May I will check the latest scene. Anyone here have contact with Tim Robinson? He might know where some folks are playing.

Hahaha.I see,so because English is not my native language means I know shit?Well,guess from your picture you are pretty posh right?It doesn't change my musical ear.Most of Londoners are not native.And you sound one that is ignorant and racist!Because the good gypsy jazz players who comes to play here are not natives.English ones sounds poor and without la pompe.
    Anyways,how many languages do you speak and write when you judge me Aussie?