DjangoBooks.com

Djangofest NW vs/ Django in June

2»

Comments

• cbwimcbwim ✭✭✭
    One thing they could do at WICA to improve DjangoFest NW is to return the larger concerts to the high school a mile away, instead of the crummy middle school auditorium next door. Some may say it is less convenient but the seats in there are awful, as is the air conditioning. I suspect it is also a fire trap. Nobody had any difficulty getting to the larger auditorium in the past.

The other thing they could do at WICA is to remove the %$^$ parking curbs in the circular parking lot. Nick and I rushed out to see the lunar eclipse during the Sunday evening concert the year Bireli came. We both tripped on these. He recovered but I slammed into the gravel hard, hurting my knee, torso and especially my nose. Crushed cartilage and bleeding like crazy. Fortunately no bones broken. Apparently Nick had tripped before because he mentioned he had been after them to get rid of them to no avail. I suspect they are still there.
  • KristioKristio New
    Great comparisons everyone. We have had many good comments on our collaboration with @DFNW for Camping and Jamming this year at the Fairgrounds. Will be offering more in this space in 2019. Thank you!
  • pmgpmg Atherton, CANew Dupont MD50R, Shelley Park Custom, Super 400, 68 Les Paul Deluxe, Stevie Ray Strat
    A big plug for the Saratoga Inn in Langley for DFNW (no personal financial interest BTW). We have more or less the same guys and gals staying there every year plus occasional artists. We have many terrific jams in the main room in front of the fireplace and spend time updating each other on our mutual activities over the past year. Very much family reunion style as Denis mentions above. A bit pricey for some at ~$200 night, but includes a killer breakfast and a wine and cheese hour in the early evening. Great location with an easy walk to WICA and to all local jamming, food, and coffee venues.
    I'm always interested in jamming with experienced jazz and gypsy jazz players in the San Francisco - San Jose area. Drop me a line. Bass players welcome!
  • pmgpmg Atherton, CANew Dupont MD50R, Shelley Park Custom, Super 400, 68 Les Paul Deluxe, Stevie Ray Strat
    edited October 2018 Posts: 140
    A big part of the attraction to these events is seeing and hanging with familiar folks each year - both musicians and just folks who like GJ/swing music. With very rare exceptions, everyone you meet is friendly and approachable and each person you meet has their own unique story to share about how they discovered and why they love this music.

I admit that it can be pricey and a bit challenging to get to these locations, but it is difficult to find anyone who regretted attending - and many more, like me, who puts these events on their "must attend" A list every year.
    I'm always interested in jamming with experienced jazz and gypsy jazz players in the San Francisco - San Jose area. Drop me a line. Bass players welcome!
  • stuologystuology New
    The magic has gone from Samois - although what Denis was doing at petit barbeau this year hints at a way to revive its spirit. Django in June and it's UK equivalent March Manouche are great events run by people with a real passion for the music.