DjangoBooks.com

Inspiration

NylonDaveNylonDave Glasgow✭✭✭ Perez Valbuena Flamenca 1991
in Welcome Posts: 462
Often people ask if a white guy can possibly sound like a Gypsy playing guitar.

I am not very interested in that question.

In my preferences I am as doomed to prejudice as much (even here) as the next man. Still I prefer this question ;

'Can a hard working man turn his love and his talent to the task of doing justice to the music he chooses and do that music proud though he discovered it not at home ?'

The answer may not always be yes, at least not for everyone and probably not for anyone every day.

But it assuredly is possible. Here is Grisha Russian child prodigy grown into mature artist, playing flamenco.

Grisha Goryachev, we who love the guitar should know his name and be glad for his inspiration. I know I am, boy he makes me feel lazy.

Comments

• ScoredogScoredog Santa Barbara, Ca✭✭✭✭
    Not discounting this video I believe your view point is one I share.
  • jeffmatzjeffmatz ChicagoNew
    I absolutely think it's possible...lest we forget, Django was influenced by his gypsy roots and the music he played in Paris clubs, but also by musicians an ocean away...
  • vanmalmsteenvanmalmsteen Diamond Springs ,CANew Latch Drom F, Eastman DM2v, Altamira m30d , Altimira Mod M
    Listening to Django’s career chronologically , it’s like he’s trying to lose his European ‘Accent’, He was trying to sound American
    jeffmatz
  • jeffmatzjeffmatz ChicagoNew
    And I think succeeding more and more...

Man...where would he have gone if given the chance?
  • vanmalmsteenvanmalmsteen Diamond Springs ,CANew Latch Drom F, Eastman DM2v, Altamira m30d , Altimira Mod M
    edited September 2018 Posts: 337
    His take on bebop was absolutely mesmerizing ! That later era , his playing is amazing
  • Rob MacKillopRob MacKillop Edinburgh, Scotland✭✭✭✭
    There are those in Europe who think that is when he lost his way. I couldn't possibly comment one way or another. But for someone who achieved so much, I don't lament wondering what he could have achieved - he left us an incredible amount.
    jeffmatzBonesChrisMartin
  • Here is Victoria's own Gareth Owen. His dad was arguably teh top Gringo Flamenco guitarist in North America. Gareth started very early and has the lingo and the passion down. Yes it is possible, but....

TDog
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed