DjangoBooks.com

9th or 10th-fret dot?

Comments

• DjangoJayDjangoJay New
    I've heard the same about the 10th dot that MikeK explains. Luckily my altamira has a 9th dot which I prefer as it's like every other guitar iv played. When I play a guitar with a 10th dot I always confuse it with the 12th fret because of the 3 frets after the 7th (looks like 9th and 12th to me), maybe being conscious of this may help.
  • ChiefbigeasyChiefbigeasy New Orleans, LA✭✭✭ Dupont MDC 50; The Loar LH6, AJL Silent Guitar
    Once I got used to the tenth fret dot, I never wanted to go back. There may be something to the idea about this particular music and that dot position. It just feels right to me.
    rudolfochrist
  • jeffmatzjeffmatz ChicagoNew
    Honestly, it's probably a much better position marker, really. But playing a tele for 20 years before I ever picked up a GJ guitar...well..familiarity wins out.
    Rob MacKillop
  • BonesBones Moderator
    I was jamming with Scoredog yesterday and his Holo has a 10th fret dot and my guitar has a 9th. I didn't even notice it at first when we traded off. I guess I just key off the 12th fret marker or something???
  • I play with both and at first it threw me but now it doesn't seem to affect me. I play both virtually every day though as my Dupont is on 10 and my Gretsch and Dunns are on 9.

Perhaps would be different if I wasn't going from one to the other,
    MikeK
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • rsclossonrsclosson New

I must be one of the few who really like the 10th fret marker. I have actually gotten the dot stickers (totally removable and reversible) and put a 10th fret marker on all of my guitars. It really works great with the keys that Gypsy Jazz tunes favor.

rudolfochrist
  • MikeKMikeK Asheville, NCNew Altamira M-10, Epiphone Zephyr Regent

I couldnt agree more, I'm a member of the 10th fret dot club. In the past, when I've been in the market for another GJ guitar, it's one of the 1st things I look for when I see photos of the guitar. And like Buco mentioned earlier in this thread, I tend to get tangled up if I'm playing in that area of the neck on someone else's guitar with 9th fret markers. I'm glad that none of you were around to hear me butcher the head to J'Attendrai the last time I swapped guitars with a ninth-fret-dotter!

rudolfochristBuco

I just joined the tenth fret club! And I love it. I was reluctant at first but like others have said it makes sense for guitar keys like D and G and even A for the root on the second string.

I was thinking the train the 9th would be useful is if you are playing with trumpets or clarinets. They often play in Bb and Eb where the 9th fret Ab is a useful marker.

• edited April 2021 Posts: 4,737

I never conscientiously refer to the dots but I must be subconsciously looking at it because of what I mentioned earlier (playing a friend's guitar with the 9th fret threw me off when I played the head melody around that part of the neck).

However, I bet you we're all much better at knowing positions on the neck than we think. Try playing blindfolded. My guess is while there will be some mistakes, you'll be surprised at how good you are at knowing the neck intuitively.

BonesWilliejonpowl
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • pdgpdg ✭✭

Both banjos and ukuleles always have the 10th fret dot.

Buco