DjangoBooks.com

L3 Sequential Chromaticism

Comments

• ScoredogScoredog Santa Barbara, Ca✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018 Posts: 872
    Here is the new video...double duty your minor ideas over your major tunes!

Again if you like it "like it" and I'll do more if not I go back in my hole.

If something is not clear let me know so I can explain or, and improve them.
    BonesvanmalmsteenJoshl-mShemiMichaelHorowitzJosechikyconormckennaJim KaznoskyBen Dallow
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Cool Craig, I'm going to try that, thanks! :-)
    Scoredog
  • Joshl-mJoshl-m New
    I am really enjoying these and they are very easy to understand. It's just the right amount of information to absorb while I'm doing the dishes or something like that. Then, when I am finished, I go grab my guitar and everything falls into place pretty well. Much appreciated!
    Scoredog
  • wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
    edited September 2018 Posts: 1,457
    Perhaps it can work well on Lady Be Good changes because the m3 is anticipating the b7 note of the IV chord. Similar thing in a major key blues form with the minor "blue" note and the IV chord.

Also over the last couple of beats of a V-chord, the augmented note (#5) is also a nice leading tone to use and it can resolve either up or down a semitone (to the M3 or 9th, respectively).

It may not work as well on other major key tunes which lack those kind of context. But a similar idea that does work and is very "Django" sound is using the diminished arpeggio which also has the I chord's m3 in it (1, m3, b5, 6). Duved talks about this in his lessons.
    Scoredog
  • ScoredogScoredog Santa Barbara, Ca✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018 Posts: 872
    Thanks Wim for chiming in....I was considering a video down the road using the dim over the root but thought it was probably covered in vids already. I actually have a written out seminar on the subject I gave at ****'s if anyone is interested. I am having a problem finding a tune I can't play the minor over the major so...as a challenge I am happy to take on, find me one you think is problematic and lets see what happens...I have tried over 20 tunes and it always works...:)
    if you decide to mention a tune please choose one most would recognize.

Best

Craig
  • NylonDaveNylonDave Glasgow✭✭✭ Perez Valbuena Flamenca 1991
    Loving this series Craig. Buried away in Mick Goodricks book is the observation that in a blues Eb pentatonic works just great over C. If we were interested in building a view of harmony with the three possible diminished (symmetrical) chords as central and asymmetry provided by resolution to one of eight possible tonal centres it might be something like this.

The first are dominant-tonic style. Any note in the diminished chord can be considered a flat nine chord with the root omitted. So a diminished chord containing B can be G,E,Db or Bb seven flat nine. It will be defined by the resolution. G to C, Major, Db to F# tritone (I am aware of the misspelling there) , E to A relative minor, Bb to Eb, blues.

The other four are retardations where diminished contains the root of the target key and I won't go into them as I did previously attempt to talk about this at length and to no positive effect.

I would be extremely surprised if you found a tune where you could not effectively exploit the interchangeability of the tonic and the paralell blues tonic (up a minor third) at will. I hear it all the time, it is so confusing when explained with respect to individual passing chords but so SIMPLE to hear.

I far prefer this type of broad brush heuristic approach to theory as it is more compatible with how I hear music than the 'chord at a time' approaches which are unhelpful in the moment and can lead to an unhelpful obsession with being right.

Being good is so much more satisfying than simply being defeasibly 'right'.

Keep up the good work !

D.
    Scoredog
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Wow, interesting.

And speaking of pentatonics, minor pentatonic a minor third down too (relative minor). Or minor pent up a major third.

Diminished over the tonic. Minor6 over the tonic. It all works. Of course, like anything one shouldn't use it all the time but definitely nice to spice things up a bit rather than playing strictly inside all the time. Love it!
  • Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
    Great ideas, clearly explained, easy to use right away...

Wow.

We are not worthy!

Will
    Scoredog
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
  • Nice Craig!

I particularly like the format of your video (3m30s) which goes straight to the point.

You should do more of these!
    Scoredog
  • richter4208richter4208 ✭✭✭
    Hey Craige, digesting your previous one still. I worked on I a bit today and got it sounding good (m7b5 idea).

Experimented with the minor idea a bit. Not making it sound too forced and nice sweet resolutions seem key, I can see using the concept in the future. Hope to get to jam with you at DjangoFest.
    Scoredog