DjangoBooks.com

Ideas on removing very stubborn mustache pieces

constantineconstantine New York✭✭✭✭ Geronimo Mateos
Hello - For a spare I picked up a Manuel Rodriguez Gypsy Guitar. Its actually better than I expected (on par with Paris Swing) but the stock mustaches are chunky and unattractive. From past experience I found it easy to remove a mustache by gently tapping the side with a small hammer. If it didn't pop a bit of heat would normally do the trick. But these suckers dont want to move...I tried heat for about a minute but was concerned I would melt the finish. Anyone have an idea as to how to remove without ripping the finish and part of the top in the process? Any input is very appreciated, thanks - Dean

Comments

• BonesBones Moderator
    If they are glued down that tight I'd just leave them alone or you may damage the top or end up with a major fix up job.
    constantine
  • AndrewUlleAndrewUlle Cleveland, OH✭✭✭ Cigano GJ-15
    are they completely glued down, or is there just a spot of glue under the center of the moustache ends? Any gap between the surfaces?
  • constantineconstantine New York✭✭✭✭ Geronimo Mateos
    are they completely glued down, or is there just a spot of glue under the center of the moustache ends? Any gap between the surfaces?

Completely like cement
    After applying heat, use dental floss to "saw" through? Or even ultra light high E string.
    Come to think of it, maybe heat the string and run through the glue joint? Use protection gloves and get the string pretty hot.
    constantinevanmalmsteenMatteo
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • ChrisMartinChrisMartin Shellharbour NSW Australia✭✭ Di Mauro x2, Petrarca, Genovesi, Burns, Kremona Zornitsa & Paul Beuscher resonator.
    Or even using the fine point of a scalpel blade working gently in from the edges might eventually get a result. Heat might help, but it depends on what glue was used. But one thing to consider, you call the existing moustache pieces 'chunky and unattractive' but if so, what do you plan to replace them with? Some have long considered they are only there for decoration, but I believe they are also useful in keeping a floating bridge in place particularly in GJ when the right hand attack can be quite forceful. If you manage to remove them there is a good chance they will leave some tell-tale marks, maybe glue in the grain or a lighter patch on the lacquer where it has not yellowed under UV exposure. So then you are going to have to replace them with something equally chunky?
    constantine
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Can u post a picture?

Honestly, I don't think they do anything except aesthetics and add weight in an area where we all try to remove as much weight as possible (bridge). Under string tension the bridge won't move so they aren't necessary to keep the bridge in place. You never see anything like that on an archtop and they have a floating bridge. I never put them on my guitars any more.

That said, again I'd advise to leave them alone if they really are glued on that tightly. Sometimes they are held on with just double sticky tape and yes a LITTLE heat can loosen them up for easy removal but too much heat and you will damage the finish. And if they pull off the finish from the top or worse yet pull up some of the spruce it will be a bummer to fix.
  • AndyWAndyW Glasgow Scotland UK✭✭✭ Clarinets & Saxes- Selmer, Conn, Buescher, Leblanc et.al. // Guitars: Gerome, Caponnetto, Napoli, Musicalia, Bucolo, Sanchez et. al.
    what kind of glue is normally used to attach the side pieces?
    Hello all, first of all @Bones you were right, trying to remove could lead to bad things. @Chris Martin - I tried your idea and it helped. I got some movement and it helped to lift these suckers off. I would have never tried this on a valuable guitar...there was some chipping and scratching as a result of the removal. In the end I am happy with the result, posting here a pic of the factory bridge and then the new dell arte bridge and mustaches. Thank you everyone for the great advice!!!! - Dean
    Buco
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Whew, glad that worked out without major problems! Congrats! What adhesive did they use to hold the old ones on?
    Gobs of CY