DjangoBooks.com

Moreno, an hour to look at his right hand.

Comments

• ScoredogScoredog Santa Barbara, Ca✭✭✭✭
    This was an unexpected treat seeing this this morning, I appreciate the find.
  • ScoredogScoredog Santa Barbara, Ca✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018 Posts: 867
    That is one interesting conversation...let's keep focus on the content.

Thank you for sharing this great performance. I would kindly suggest that you try to close your eyes just a moment, and temporarily forget about the right hand technique.
    Then listen again to this performance, and try to connect on a deeper level to the rhythmic intention of Moreno, his rhythmic phrasing, his time feel, his use of space, his use of silence, and generally speaking his syntax.

These are the elements that I believe you enjoy the most about this performance. The right hand is just a physical tool, it is the upper part of the iceberg, and watching it for hours won't give you or anyone else a deeper understanding of Moreno's art. It will however stimulate your contemplation, which has never been proven to be of any help on a cognitive level.

Thanks again for sharing.

DS

I think you are underestimating the original poster's intent.
  • PapsPierPapsPier ✭✭
    NylonDave wrote: »
    Thanks Paps, I asked and I did receive.

I can't believe how well he played in those circumstances and with such humility and such respect for his audience and the music. Every moment a joy, truly humbling.

And he REACHES in a way that I almost never see, really puts himself on the line, always on the edge, thrilling.

D.

I think you accurately describe the style of Moreno, it is really close to what Moreno, himself, says in the documentary Les Fils du Vent.
    Moreno is such a showman, it was always my favorite show to see at l Atelier Charonne. It always felt like it was a special evening.

And by the way, Moreno is unfortunately not the only underrepresented guitarist here (or in general). For example Bero Landauer is also a really good guitarist with an original sound and personality that is worth listening.
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Wow, great find. I'll need to watch that many times :-)
  • billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E
    Dave,

Thanks for the flashback. I remember seeing Moreno back in 2004 at Samois. Here's a link from that day that I found....also seems underplayed at only ~390.

Enjoy Dark Eyes.

GreatBohemian
  • NylonDaveNylonDave Glasgow✭✭✭ Perez Valbuena Flamenca 1991
    Thanks guys, I will check out Landauer Paps, it is a shame for sure that there was no market for this music during the prime of people like Moreno and Fays.

Billy I'll be watching that with my second coffee, today seems like a three coffee day for some reason.

D.
  • edited August 2018 Posts: 4,730
    I don't remember seeing this on the forum before, nice article about Moreno by Michael Dregni

Actually I was secretly wishing I could see a close-up slo-mo of his right hand. Those 16th note triplets are unreal. How does he do that!? So clean.
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • bopsterbopster St. Louis, MOProdigy Wide Sky PL-1, 1940? French mystery guitar, ‘37 L-4
    @Buco - Here’s his right hand up close:

Buco
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Wow, love it! Thanks
    GreatBohemian
  • NylonDaveNylonDave Glasgow✭✭✭ Perez Valbuena Flamenca 1991
    Thanks for the story, nice sounds like great times.

I'll try harder to find more stuff. All I have found is Romano Baschepen
    with Angelo (Metro Swing KILLS me) a collection where he plays rhythm for Tchan Tchou and the film of Les Fils de Vents.

I never see him play at theatre style gigs. By in his prime I guess I mean marketable, young etc, I assumed that because I can find so little. Online there are few festivals, some pub stuff where he makes the day of visiting international soloists, no theatre gigs or anything that suggests genuine support and promotion.

It would be great fun to have seen him dust Joscho Stephan with a great big indulgent smile on his face, and a fat cheque in his back pocket but instead we got Tommy Emanuelle.

I am sorry to learn he is ill, hopefully hell be strong again soon.

D.