DjangoBooks.com

WOW Airlines may be cheaper but ...

bohemewarblerbohemewarbler St. Louis, MO✭✭✭✭ Jordan Wencek No.26, Altamira M01D-12 fret
edited June 2018 in International Posts: 243
Just thought I'd give a heads-up.

Even though WOW Airlines answers the question: "Can I travel with musical instruments? Of course you can. We love music!," be aware that unless you are traveling with a small parlor guitar, your Selmer/Maccaferri guitar will not be able to travel with you as a carry on.

Given WOW's low air fares, you might be tempted to book WOW to go overseas and tote your guitar to one of the various European Gypsy Jazz festivals. But unless you have a one of those carbon fiber cases that runs about $1000, you won't want to book WOW Airlines for you and your guitar.

At WOW, you can have a carry-on musical instrument if it fits within these dimension: 35.4" x 13.7" x 7.9". You can check yourself, but it's not likely that your gig bag (with your guitar nestled inside) fits within these dimensions.

Hope to see some of you at Festival Django Reinhardt, Fountainbleau/Samoreau!

Comments

• bohemewarblerbohemewarbler St. Louis, MO✭✭✭✭ Jordan Wencek No.26, Altamira M01D-12 fret
    edited June 2018 Posts: 243
  • Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
    edited June 2018 Posts: 1,852
    That's why I travel with my all metal resonator guitar... it's airline-proof!

And you've gotta admit... those flight attendants in their purple WOW uniforms look like they stepped out of a James Bond movie.
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
  • ronzo4600ronzo4600 PNWNew Eimer's, Lebreton & Selmer
    edited July 2018 Posts: 44
    WOW charges for everything, including a trip to the blue room (kidding on that one). By the time you pay for carry on or baggage, a seat assignment or a horrid meal, it's pretty much just about the same as a regular carrier except for the seat pitch and comfort.

A US certificated carrier can NOT deny you a carry on instrument with the proviso "if there is room".

Get in line, or purchase advance boarding and you're golden. Otherwise it's a crap shoot.

The only US aircraft I've not been able to get a guitar in is the 767, which has very small overhead bins on Delta. Usually they find room in the closet for me.

Gate checking or normal checking on KLM and Delta have never been a problem for me as they are usually taken care of by the oversized baggage area.