DjangoBooks.com

Django's timing

Comments

• Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
    Interesting turn this thread has taken.

I particularly enjoyed the Evan Christopher clip about Louis Armstrong's influence on Django.

That being said, I was a bit baffled by Evan's playing examples... the one which he said was Armstrong-influenced did sound a lot better than the first one, but I had trouble understanding exactly why...?

Anyway, now I'm hoping some enterprising Djangologist will simplify my life by developing a "Louis Armstrong Phrases For Idiots" teaching method.

Until that day comes, I guess I'll just have to pull out my old Armstrong CDs and listen to them a lot until his musical genius transfers to my fingers via osmosis... if music is a language, then I want to be fluent in Armstrong-ese!

Elí Saúl
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
  • edited May 2018 Posts: 4,735
    Watching the video with Evan I'm wondering about what's often mentioned about playing ahead or behind.
    Is it the whole timing of the phrase that's ahead or behind or the phrase is manipulated so that the certain notes are placed ahead or behind compared to what they would sound like if you played everything strictly on the beat?
    Like, you might make a pause in playing the phrase and then fire off the remaining notes, or play a string of notes in rapid succession and then wait.
    There's a moment in the Evan's video where he kinda pulls backwards indicating Django's playing behind but the phrase is still properly placed in the context.
    On the flip side sometimes you hear highly accomplished players and it's obvious they know the craft but some of the playing just sounds off, almost clumsy. The reason I'm thinking might be the loose understanding and interpretation of this concept.

Will, if I'm getting correctly which moment you're referring to, Evan was first playing the line squarely on the beat and they he became more playful, to use his description.

PS I remembered Sebastien talked about playing ahead or behind in the video that Dennis produced.
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E
    @Buco,

Yes, that was the Yaakov vid I was thinking of. Also noted with interest Evan's discussion of jazz music for dancers as per an earlier topic discussion sideline.. :)
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    bopster wrote: »
    @Buco - if anyone would know about (and write about) Django’s timing, it would be Denis.

hehehe you're darn right about that! It's the stuff I've been carefully studying for the past few years. Lots of misinformation out there!
  • normjohnsonnormjohnson ca
    "If you have to ask, you'll never know."

Louis Armstrong when asked to define the rhythmic concept of "swing", quoted in Jazz 101: A Complete Guide to Learning and Loving Jazz by John F. Szwed, 2000.
    Ok @dennis what's with a " two minute teaser trailer"?
    Is there a blog post about to be published? Give us something...
  • Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
    Buco
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
    Wow Will, this is great! I scanned over it and it sounds really interesting.
  • normjohnsonnormjohnson ca

“The supreme misfortune is when theory outstrips performance”

― Leonardo da Vinci
    Teddy DupontNewcastleBud
  • While Will's link is an interesting read, it just goes to show that science doesn't get the fact that the music is in the spaces between the notes and not in the technical analysis. One has to really "hear" the feel on a holistic and deeper level

No one usually thinks about the letters in the words when speaking, and a lot of the time dont even think about the individual words. The cadence of the phrases depends on how we are feeling, happy sad, passionate, clinical etc etc.

Evan C gets it.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed