DjangoBooks.com

Dimauro Boogie Woogie questions

2»

Comments

• ChrisMartinChrisMartin Shellharbour NSW Australia✭✭ Di Mauro x2, Petrarca, Genovesi, Burns, Kremona Zornitsa & Paul Beuscher resonator.
    Of those two at GuitareVillage, the top one does not look like any Di Mauro I have seen, the body shape is wrong and the headstock looks a bit crude. The other one they have identified as Boogie Woogie looks right. But, I have seen variations on pickguard shapes. The Boogie Woogie photos you have show the most common type but I have seen others, possibly later alterations, and also Boogie Woogie with a pickguard screwed on top, not glued flush. See photo. I wouldn't worry too much, there have been enough variations down the years nobody could say for sure what is right or wrong, but yours does look at least like it was made by Antoine Di Mauro originally even if it was altered later.
  • AndrewUlleAndrewUlle Cleveland, OH✭✭✭ Cigano GJ-15
    Of those two at GuitareVillage, the top one does not look like any Di Mauro I have seen, the body shape is wrong and the headstock looks a bit crude. The other one they have identified as Boogie Woogie looks right. But, I have seen variations on pickguard shapes.

I agree - the body shape and headstock don't look right at all. The lower bout looks like a jumbo flat top, and the headstock has almost no taper and no burned-in signature. Maybe it's a Joseph MiMauro?

Even the Boogie Woogie's signature looks more well-defined than any I've ever seen - maybe it's relatively new?
  • ChrisMartinChrisMartin Shellharbour NSW Australia✭✭ Di Mauro x2, Petrarca, Genovesi, Burns, Kremona Zornitsa & Paul Beuscher resonator.
    Of those two at GuitareVillage, the top one does not look like any Di Mauro I have seen, the body shape is wrong and the headstock looks a bit crude. The other one they have identified as Boogie Woogie looks right. But, I have seen variations on pickguard shapes.

I agree - the body shape and headstock don't look right at all. The lower bout looks like a jumbo flat top, and the headstock has almost no taper and no burned-in signature. Maybe it's a Joseph MiMauro?

Even the Boogie Woogie's signature looks more well-defined than any I've ever seen - maybe it's relatively new?

I doubt the odd one is even a Joseph. The elder made some nice guitars but I had never seen one like that and Joseph Jr as far as I know mostly made copies of Antoine's St Louis model from the same moulds.
    As for the signature, they do vary because of the technique of stamping with a branding iron, but mine are all as clear as that one (although it doesn't all fit on the width of the mandolin headstock).
  • jonpowljonpowl Hercules, CA✭✭✭ Dupont MD-100, Altamira M01F
    Here is a nice one in what appears to be great condition: https://www.tfoa.eu/en/antoine-dimauro-1950s-dimauro-boogie-woogie-gypsy.html
    Jim Gallaher
  • AndyWAndyW Glasgow Scotland UK✭✭✭ Clarinets & Saxes- Selmer, Conn, Buescher, Leblanc et.al. // Guitars: Gerome, Caponnetto, Napoli, Musicalia, Bucolo, Sanchez et. al.
    ok i'm opting out of bidding on this if anyone wants a one-string DiMauro Boogie Woogie for -maybe- $500 ;-) http://www.interencheres.com/fr/recherche/lot?search[keyword]=di mauro