DjangoBooks.com

Gypsy Jazz Workshop Vienna, Austrian Gypsy jazz scene?

TseeBaengTseeBaeng Paris, France✭✭✭ Olivier Marin
in Europe Posts: 41
Hey everyone,

I'm having a workshop over in Vienna and I don't know too many players or the scene out in Vienna or in the rest of austria. Are any of you guys interested or know of some people in the area?

Here's the link for the facebook event:

https://www.facebook.com/events/1981381528857059/

Thanks for any info guys!
Brad

Comments

• AndyWAndyW Glasgow Scotland UK✭✭✭ Clarinets & Saxes- Selmer, Conn, Buescher, Leblanc et.al. // Guitars: Gerome, Caponnetto, Napoli, Musicalia, Bucolo, Sanchez et. al.
    there's a link to a Viennese jazz accordionist in the Other Instruments -Accordion subforum
  • TseeBaengTseeBaeng Paris, France✭✭✭ Olivier Marin
    Thanks Andy
  • KlausUSKlausUS AustriaNew Cholet Intuition, Gaffiero Original, AJL Q&P
    edited May 2020 Posts: 64

In Vienna, Austria is a very nice little Gypsy jazz scene. It’s a mixture of pros and amateurs. I was surprised how lively the Scene is, when I started With Gypsy jazz 1 1/2 yrs ago and I am happy to have the opportunity to learn from this community as I am on the beginner side. There are Workshops, concerts, lessons,... Diknu Schneeberger Is one of the center points in Vienna, he is a very gifted player. He‘s always up for new projects and opportunities (he’s also on facebook)

Here is a video he made with some of us during the corona lockdown (my first publicly performed solo :-))

rudolfochristBucomac63000MartineJojo
  • rudolfochristrudolfochrist Worms, GermanyNew Dupont MD-100

@KlausUS which one is you? Just being curious ?

Haha, my turn starts at minute 5 (Blue checkered pants)

rudolfochrist

You guys really do have a nice scene there! Nice collection of good players, good sounding guitars too. You play really well for a beginner on GJ.

KlausUS
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel

Many of them play Volkert Guitars (Same Brand as Joscho Stephan). For my skills: thanks, it‘s way easier to play on a video, where nobody watches you and you can Have more takes to get it right. Not ready for jamming yet tough.

But the possibilities to learn Gypsy Jazz nowadays with all the online schools , books and of course real lessons are a dream coming true for beginners.

Bucovanmalmsteenmac63000

Well that indeed confirms that you are a perfectionist. As far as getting ready to jam, there's never a ready state. You become ready by showing up. And the more you show up the ready-er you get. You have skills, use them.

KlausUS
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel

Thanks for your advice Buco, good point.

Buco

Hi Guys.

I've been learning gypsy jazz pieces for some years now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8HnSNyIuVs

I can play what I learn by memory but don't have enough theory knowledge to improvise over a piece.

I know there's a lot of stuff on the internet but I'd like to sit down with a good teacher who can give me some direction with what to focus studying and how to apply the theory.

Can anyone recommend me a good gypsy jazz guitar teacher here in Vienna?

Buco