Logo
Call Us
Categories

DjangoBooks.com

Welcome to our Community!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Today's Birthdays

JoyceZ21is Julien Jenze

Related Discussions

Who's Online (2)

• galagatattoo 7:12PM
  • tomcunn 7:12PM

Django on DVD

Jim GallaherJim Gallaher Staunton, VA 2012 ALD La Brune
Just received my "Django" DVD (French with English subtitles, pre-ordered through Amazon). I'm loving it! A must-have for GJ fans.

Comments

• PapsPierPapsPier ✭✭
    Hi Jim are you talking about Django the movie of Etienne Comar (which for me, is definitely not a must-have but a must-avoid), or the 4-DVD box with different documentaries about Django (which is a must have)
  • Jim GallaherJim Gallaher Staunton, VA 2012 ALD La Brune
    The Comar movie. I didn't have any expectations approaching biography, just entertainment :)
  • NotoNoto
    edited April 10
    PapsPier, what don't you like about the movie? I haven't seen it.
  • Andrew UlleAndrew Ulle Cleveland, OH✭✭✭ Antoine DiMauro modele Django
    edited April 10
    I felt like it was a gypsy version of "The Sound of Music" - complete with cartoon Nazis. I kept waiting for Julie Andrews to come out singing Do Re Mi.

A better story might have shown how the war separated Django and Stephane, and how that affected them personally & musically. A real in-depth biography would be more interesting, I think, because Django was such a character. As one film critic wrote, the "escape from Nazis" story has been done way too much.

*****SPOILER ALERT********

The one part that brought tears to my eyes was when he smashed his guitar to hide it in the snow.