DjangoBooks.com

Sadly I am giving up Gypsy Jazz

in Welcome Posts: 36
Well last night I had to make a big decision regarding my guitar playing.

I’ve not been playing Gypsy Jazz guitar very long - had bought a stunning Le Voi guitar - but I realised that it’s just not my thing. Basically, my heart lies in playing and singing songs (think Simon and Garfunkel et al) and I have invested a lot in this area. I realised that whilst I was progressing in GJ - especially rhythm aspect, I wasn’t as motivated to listen and in my listening time I invariably found myself listening to songwriters. I’m not great at musical multitasking and I already have a very busy art practice which is my lifelong passion.

So, I’ll be putting my Le Voi guitar up for sale soon and hope in time it will sell. I have only posted a few messages here but it is a great friendly forum.

Thanks all.
Jojo

Comments

• adrianadrian AmsterdamVirtuoso
    Absolutely nothing wrong with Simon and Garfunkel! Good luck and best wishes. :-)

Adrian
    altonJosechiky
    As Adrian said.

But keep in mind most of the songs in the GJ repertoire come from the great American songbook and are performed in the past by every great singer you can think of.

Plus there are some wonderful GJ albums with vocals (there was thread about it here) from Robin Nolan, Bireli, Rosenberg Trio, Black Market Trust, Scaramouche, Cyrille Aimee...
    So at least do yourself a favor and listen to some of that stuff and stay close to it.

And don't be so quick with getting rid of your Le Voi. These guitars aren't a one trick pony, they sound just as good playing a Sound of Silence as they do on Minor Swing.
    altonBillDaCostaWilliamsJosechikyterrassierpickitjohn
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
    Thanks Buco

Essentially I have always struggled to enjoy any form of jazz but I saw Gypsy Jazz as more accessible. However, what brought me to this rather quick conclusion was firstly, I was finding that I didn’t truly enjoy listening to the improvisational aspect of the genre: when a recogniseable tune morphs into something unrecognizable only to resolve to the recognizable towards the end, and secondly, the lack of regular opportunities to sit with other musicians and grow as a musician - I don’t particularly enjoy playing to backing tracks.

But most of this is definitely borne out of never growning up around any form of jazz so it’s never really resonated with me.

Regarding the guitar - I may hang onto it but we’ll see. My thinking is that it should go to someone who will use it - I’m not keen for it to sit in a case because it deserves to be played. I realize I will loose some money but hopefully it will find a new home sooner or later.
  • PapsPierPapsPier ✭✭
    I think it is appropriate to share that beautiful version of SOund of Silence by Antoine Boyer.

Good luck for your future projects whatever they might be
    BucoJosechikyBillDaCostaWilliamspickitjohn
    Thank you.
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Funny I had the opposite experience. My parents always had classic jazz records at home and occasionally live jazz for parties so I was well exposed but had no interest. Then when I was in like my mid 30s I 'heard' it and got the bug. I guess early immersion counts for something.
    Hi Bones

Yes it’s strange. With me the immersion has stuck all my life. The other aspect which I didn’t mention properly are lyrics. I am incredibly interested in lyrics and it is this aspect which pulls me back to songs.

• JosechikyJosechiky
    edited March 2018 Posts: 122
    Also, don't give up definitively without checking out Luke Hill's Youtube channel :-).

AndrewUlle
  • AndrewUlleAndrewUlle Cleveland, OH✭✭✭ Cigano GJ-15
    Josechiky wrote: »
    Also, don't give up definitively without checking out Luke Hill's Youtube channel :-).

Looks like that channel has been dormant for quite some time...too bad. I liked what I heard.
  • JosechikyJosechiky
    Josechiky wrote: »

Looks like that channel has been dormant for quite some time...too bad. I liked what I heard.

I'd like to see and listen new stuff by Luke Hill too.Anyway,his old material is still there,so we can still enjoy his music.