Logo
Call Us
Categories

DjangoBooks.com

Welcome to our Community!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Today's Birthdays

DSzekeres Eduardo

Who's Online (3)

• DeuxDoigts_Tonnerre 7:16PM
  • fretwear 7:15PM
  • jonpowl 7:16PM

"The Bijlmer Sessions" are the bomb-dot-com

crescendocrescendo Palo Alto, CaliforniaNew Favino
Just got a copy of Rino Van Hooijdonk Quintette's new album "The Bijlmer Sessions" -- and it's really special -- felt compelled to post about it.

The album is undeniably "fun." Listening in the car driving around, just makes you feel like life is good...

Rino is a total gypsy jazz renaissance man - both an expert guitar-builder and fantastic player. Many of the tracks are light-hearted re-imaginations of gypsy themes. Something about it really captures a whimsical element of the genre. The recording and arrangement is organic - nothing about the record feels stale or overproduced. A distinct hint of randomness, but easy to listen.

Overall *sublime*

Check it out here:
https://open.spotify.com/album/6xi838uMDzN0qwgarh91jA?si=RMEEVKAvQKemN_--68QYCg

Favorite tracks:
- bei dir war es immer so schoen
- swing 41
- song d'automne --- but I always love that song

Bonus Points:
Maybe this is crazy in 2018, but I actually bought the CD from @nicksansone - who plays rhythm in the quintette --- and will sell you a physical copy of the album if you ask nicely. Rino and nick are fixtures in the gypsy jazz space - buying the album is a way to encourage this kind of awesome work, and support other folks in our community... just my view.

Thanks,
- Spencer
ConorFBill Da Costa WilliamsMichael S Harrington

Comments

• nicksansonenicksansone Amsterdam, The Netherlands✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the nice review Crescendo. For those who don't know Rino, he's been on the scene longer than almost anyone; he learned directly from Sani Rosenberg, father of Nousche and played for years with Lulu Reinhardt, and Fapy Lafertin. The proof is here:
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=w27XGtI5zCw
    steffo
  • scotscot Virtuoso
    I knew I had an ancient 90 minute cassette of Rino, Stochelo (spelled Stoggelo on the cassette card!) and others from 1980 that also had some tunes by Wasso Grunholz. For several years I could not find this cassette but I found it this morning looking for something else. I haven't listened to it for a long time and don't remember what the quality is. I'll try to digitize it this week and if it's any good I'll post some of the files.

Rino - one of the best!
    nicksansone
  • BonesBones Moderator
    edited March 10
    Wow, cool find Scot. Looking forward to hearing it. Thanks!

great youtube vid, Nick!
  • Chris MartinChris Martin Shellharbour NSW Australia✭✭ Petrarca, Di Mauro x 3, Sonora (by Busato?), Favino (classical), Bucolo, Hoyer, Framus, Martino 'D' hole, Castelluccia 'Romantic' style and a few electrics.
    Emailed Nick a month ago, still waiting for a reply. Resent it anyway. Loved the previous Rino CD with Tcha, Denis and Vilmos, so it should be good.
  • billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Elan 14 - Altamira M10
    Me too on the message to Nick. In the meantime, you can stream them from youtube here:

This says auto-generated by youtube so I'm guessing they uploaded it themselves via some automator.
    Wow I am very surprised to hear that I've missed these 2 messages, as I've answered and sent out cds to those who I have heard from.. maybe it's my email server, but please try again, and if you would like, message me via Djangobooks. @ chris, sorry that you resent it, it's certainly not my intention and definitely a fluke.
  • Chris MartinChris Martin Shellharbour NSW Australia✭✭ Petrarca, Di Mauro x 3, Sonora (by Busato?), Favino (classical), Bucolo, Hoyer, Framus, Martino 'D' hole, Castelluccia 'Romantic' style and a few electrics.
    . @ chris, sorry that you resent it, it's certainly not my intention and definitely a fluke.
    Hah, I did not mean resent, as in feel anger about, I just meant to say I had resent the email, as in sent it again (maybe that should be re-sent?). Same word two meanings, a fault of the English language
    ahahah ok. by the way I sent you an email