DjangoBooks.com

Old Gitane DG255 - 2006 ???

Hi all, My first post. I've just acquired an old but immaculate Gitane DG255 - about 12 years old I believe (serial #3076). Does anyone know how this differs from the current DG255 model. eg: Is it a solid front, can the bridge be replaced with a moustache bridge - and is this advisable. Are there any other pros/cons? Comments appreciated!

Comments

• jonpowljonpowl Hercules, CA✭✭✭ Dupont MD-100, Altamira M01F
    I owned a Gitane DG-255 and it was a well built guitar but had an overtone problem. I'm sure there are any number of threads on Djangobooks about the overtones and how to improve the sound. Still, I would call it a nice first GJ guitar, although my Cigano "student guitar" is a lot nicer. Please post a pic of what is happening with the bridge/moustache, which is normally three pieces, a movable bridge with two permanently (cross fingers) attached moustaches. I have seen them on Ebay for less than $10 shipped from China.
  • mcgroup53mcgroup53 Bloomington, IN USA✭✭✭✭ 1951 Ep Broadway
    Not sure if this is appropriate, but I have a newer DG-255 that was enhanced by Jokko in the Netherlands. He removed the heavy poly finish, french polished the guitar, and replaced the heavy ebony bridge and moustache with rosewood. Sounds great, but I need to sell it if anyone interested.