DjangoBooks.com

Online Lessons Suggestions

Good Day Everyone,

New to Gypsy Jazz guitar playing. Wanted to ask your suggestions, What is the best website to purchase lessons?
Any lesson order?Where to start?

Websites to check
http://www.rosenbergacademy.com/enroll/
https://www.dc-musicschool.com/store/
https://studygypsyjazz.com/courses/learn-gypsy-jazz/

Thank you for reading and looking forward to your help.

Regards
Elroy

Comments

• billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E
    Elroy,

Welcome to the style. I'm sure you'll get plenty of inputs here and none of them will be the same. Probably depends on your learning style and what sort of thing you like as well as how much you already have on guitar in general. I've seen or purchased from the first 2 on your list. Not seen the last one.

Others to consider:
    Yaakov Hoter's site
    https://www.gypsyandjazz.com/

Robin Nolan's songbooks
    https://robin-nolan-music.myshopify.com/

He's got some online materials that go with these song books where he adds videos showing you how to play the melody, harmony, and then solo tips etc for several of the songs on each book. I think he just added courses for books 3 & 4.

Dennis at DC music as well as Yaakov and Robin are all great, established teachers. Can't go wrong with any in my book. Check out youtube for clips of their instruction styles and then pick what you like.

Cheers, Bill

• DC is great for noobs
    dm7b5
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
    Thank you for your response :) Will check it out

• juandererjuanderer New ALD Original, Manouche Latcho Drom Djangology Koa, Caro y Topete AR 740 O
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    Jazzaferri wrote: »
    DC is great for noobs

Thanks! But i’m not so sure if DCMS is good for noobs... Depends on how you define noob! The only thing that may be accessible to beginners is the stuff that I personally did, but even then, when I made those lessons, I was thinking of people who had solid experience playing other styles already.

Actually, I came to realize not too long ago that some people aren’t exactly sure how to use DC Music School. I’ll have to make a big video at one point explaining my entire vision and the way I was hoping people would use it (although, it could be used in so many different ways).

I plan to redo my personal website at one point, where I can focus more on the stuff that I do with actual students who come study with me.
    dm7b5BillDaCostaWilliams
    Thank you Juanderer! I am currently looking into purchasing from DC music

Hi Dennis,

Thank you for your response! :) Looking forward to my Gypsy jazz guitar journey and learning from you Guys!!

:D
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    DC is great for noobs

Oh, my, I don't agree with the sentiment. There are some lessons in Denis' store that would be very beneficial to "noobs," but most are well suited to players at mid to advanced levels. Denis has enlisted some of the finest players in the world to share their music with the rest of us, and you can't tell me that the offerings by the likes of Angelo, Bireli, Stochelo, FAPY!, and a host of others will not provide a challenge to even the most experienced players.
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E
    klaatu wrote: »
    DC is great for noobs

Oh, my, I don't agree with the sentiment. There are some lessons in Denis' store that would be very beneficial to "noobs," but most are well suited to players at mid to advanced levels.

I found this lesson particularly simple and easy to understand and I've only been playing for about 3 weeks now...solidly noobish ;-)~

Bucosteffo
  • ChiefbigeasyChiefbigeasy New Orleans, LA✭✭✭ Dupont MDC 50; The Loar LH6, AJL Silent Guitar
    Kind of depends on what your level playing currently is. If you’re just starting out with guitar in general, that’s very different than coming from a different style as a pretty accomplished player.

Nevertheless, I might start with Robin Nolan‘s YouTube channel. He offers simple and short concepts in easily digested short videos. Gives you a pretty good feel for the music pretty quickly. For that matter, there is a ton of free material on YouTube. Before I start shelling out money, I would spend a lot of time searching through simple concept videos.

Those videos are often hosted by teachers with sites. One of my favorites is Yaakov Hoter. He is a fantastic teacher and his courses are dense and well worth the money.
    richter4208BillDaCostaWilliamsElroy Montano
  • PompierPompier MarylandNew Cigano GJ-15
    edited January 2018 Posts: 62
    I can share a bit of experience as a fellow "noob" who has been learning to play GJ rhythm for the last few weeks. Denis' rhythm course at DC Music School is great. His earlier video from Hypership Media is also great. I must have played and tried to imitate the little sample around the 11 minute mark at least a hundred times. <redacted in view of later comments>

I've also looked at a number of other videos. There's a distinctive style of rhythm playing used by modern players, which is quite different from the classic la pompe. It's mostly missing the upstroke and the 2-4 downstroke is very dry, sounding rather like a hi-hat. You can hear it on Youtube in the backing tracks by Gonzalo Bergara and Clément Reboul, in the lessons by Sven Yungbeck and in the Minor Swing rhythm guitar demo by Adrien Moignard. Curiously this style seems to be rarely explicitly taught on videos, but I'm finding it much easier to imitate than the classic style, and these backing tracks/samples have been a major source of practical instruction for me.

More traditional rhythm playing with an upstroke comes in many flavors, and all of the ones I like are pretty hard to get right. I'm finding the slower sample in Reinier Voet's la pompe lesson on Youtube to be quite useful as an entry point. Once you get enough control to get that sound, you can find different models to imitate on Denis' site (Nousche Rosenberg, Hono Winterstein, Benji Winterstein, Denis himself).

HTH,
    Michael