DjangoBooks.com

Hello

JLAZZJLAZZ New
in Welcome Posts: 1
Hi all thanks just joined - been learning to play gypsy jazz for just under a year after about 15 years playing - just love this music so much I don't seem to play much else.
Just bought a gitane d-500 used.
Are there lessons here ?

Comments

• NylonDaveNylonDave Glasgow✭✭✭ Perez Valbuena Flamenca 1991
    You are online. If you asked the question 'Are There Sunsets Online?' then you might expect a range of answers. Some might point to images or video clips of varying fidelity and realism and they might be interesting.

Perhaps another answer would be,
    'No, a sunset is best enjoyed in the real world.'

That would be my answer.

But even as I say it I can hear the advice that such and such a clip of someone else sitting on top of a mountain you will never visit is more instructive for you, or more special or what not. And again I would say that since you were not there that you have will never see sunset for it is in the past.

And in giving these answers I will be found out of line. Because you are online and the purpose of the internet is to keep you online.

So maybe try and find a real teacher who you can actually be present with. They may not be the best or the most famous and in fact they may not be much use, but you will at least have been there.

Or perhaps collect a selection of touched up postcards from around the world and in purchasing these records imagine that in some sense you were there because you now feel you 'own' them. And the convenience of that is that you need never leave the house or work or think.

D.

Buco
  • @NylonDave - You kill me. I really welcome your brutal honesty.

To answer the original question, yes...there are years of posts offering advice on all sorts of questions you might have regarding this style of music. If you search for information on a topic that you are specifically interested in learning, I'm positive that you'll find value. Additionally, if you ask questions, there are plenty of folks here that would be happy to share their knowledge with you. Even if they are questions that have been asked before, there is enough collective enthusiasm here that will point you in a good direction.

Additionally, there are lessons available online. You can search through here or ask questions as to what individuals might consider to be the best. It's going to vary by individual preference, so I'm being vague on purpose as I am not familiar with how you learn or like to learn.
    If you can find a teacher in person that is familiar with the style or even other people local to you that play, seek them out. To Dave's point, that's the best way. Find a jam. Go see some shows. Introduce yourself to locals. Get out there.

Finally, there's no shortcut. You have to put in the work. Pick a song you like and learn everything about it. The best song to learn is the song you like the best. I'm happy to share my experiences with you if you have a specific questions. The journey is humbling.
    BucoBillDaCostaWilliams
  • NylonDaveNylonDave Glasgow✭✭✭ Perez Valbuena Flamenca 1991
    And, I envy your courtesy Jim, I realise I didn't even take the time to welcome our new member before going off on one.

D.
    Welcome @JLAZZ

Yes there are lessons galore here on the forum.
    Great advice above from both Dave and Jim. Although when reading Dave's thoughts the first instinct is put up a defence guard, there's actually a value and an honest advice in most of the things he says.
    Just about every teacher who offers online course, lessons and what not, agree that there's no substitute for a local person/teacher who you see on a regular basis, who can follow your progress and steer you and push you in the right direction. And what's most important, recognize and fix the bad habit you might be forming.
    Jim KaznoskyBillDaCostaWilliams
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • NylonDave wrote: »
    And, I envy your courtesy Jim, I realise I didn't even take the time to welcome our new member before going off on one.

D.
    I honestly do enjoy your posts. It's basically the same thing that is said to me by non-GJ playing folks who I see regularly. Essentially, do the work.
  • Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
    All true, BUT...

...for absolute newbies, let's not forget to mention the tried and true "Gypsy Picking" written by our esteemed host Mr. Michael Horowitz and available at this very website for $35.

It was my first method book in this style, and I am still very grateful that it got me on the correct path with rest stroke picking.

Well worth the money, and I honestly don't think that I could have learned it much better, even if I had had a real life teacher.

If you are anything like me and some of my friends, it's going to take you from 6 months to a year to rework your RH style but trust me, you're going to be very happy you did!

Will

MichaelHorowitz
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
    Of course, we mention having a private teacher as casually as if everybody can afford a minimum of $60/week for one hour lesson, $240/month.
    The economics prohibit a lot of people from being taught privately so when you see announcement "2.5 hrs of material for $25", it seems like a no-brainer.
    And another factor is the level of commitment that plays a big role into a choice and methods of teaching and learning.
  • You're exactly right, Buco. That's why I mention jams or just going to see musicians play the style live. You can get quite a bit of information from these sources for free.
    Agree, totally.
    By doing all of that, even listening to this music a lot will shape your own playing.
    It seems like a paradox but going to see a live show can be seen as a form of practice.
  • I'm lucky enough that Stephane Wrembel was local to me. I saw him at Barbes and sat in the front row. Just being able to hear the difference in tone that I produced versus what I heard him play was an eye opening moment.