DjangoBooks.com

songs in the style of bossa

rafapakrafapak ✭✭
in Repertoire Posts: 219
hi guys

I like bossa style. Can you recommend any bossa's except for bossa dorado and for sephora ( I know these two )?

Comments

• billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E
    Try this one -- Jardin d'Hiver. Here's a version of Tchavolo playing it. Song starts at ~1:04.

• Chega de Saudade - Corcovado - Manha de CArnaval
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • edited November 2017 Posts: 88
    The theme song from the French film The Umbrellas of Cherbourg can be played as bossa. For the rhythm guitar, just strum like For Sephora.

• NylonDaveNylonDave Glasgow✭✭✭ Perez Valbuena Flamenca 1991
    Anything you like can be played as a bossa.
  • OTOH just because you can doesn't mean you should
    richter4208wimsteffo
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
    edited November 2017 Posts: 462
    Jazzaferri wrote: »
    OTOH just because you can doesn't mean you should

Ah but just because people think you shouldn't doesn't mean you oughtn't.

Besides that general point with regard to bossas how will you know how you'll like it till you've tried ?

And how do you know you might try unless you've been told ?

And if you asked didn't you need to be told ?
  • crookedpinkycrookedpinky Glasgow✭✭✭✭ Alex Bishop D Hole, Altamira M & JWC D hole
    I remember Nousche Rosenberg talking about how most gypsies learned/developed the gypsy Bossa style which apparently is not a true Bossa style after all. It seems that they picked up the rhythm from those little drum machines they had back in the 70s/80s. Like this.
    adriansteffo
    always learning
  • PapsPierPapsPier ✭✭
    You re right crooked pinky. And what is called boss a in Gj is more what ppl call rumba.
    You be recado bossa or be same mucho that are nice with Bossa.
    edited November 2017 Posts: 462
    Does anyone know which came first 'Cesar Swing' or 'Recado Bossa' Nova ?

Maybe a common source ?

I was curious and the earliest Gypsy recording I found (Schnuckenack Reinhardt ) was recorded two years later than the Hank Mobley but the descending three voice Pasacaglia was common in European harmony centuries before the bossa movement got going (Rheinhart Quotes Remo Giazoto's arrangement of Albinoni's Adagio sketch as does the guitarist) .

Does anyone with a bit more history than me know of an earlier source ? Like Jobim's 'Insensitive' which is mostly Chopin.

Lastly am I to believe that one or other band leader was wrong to change the style of eighth notes or should I trust my ears and continue to enjoy both ?

D.
  • BonesBones Moderator
    NylonDave wrote: »
    Anything you like can be played as a bossa.

Yeah exactly what I was going to say. Just take any song that you like and try it like Fleche D'or or example. I don't think I've heard anyone do that as a bossa but totally works.