DjangoBooks.com

Rino van Hooijdonk course: Django-style fills

adrianadrian AmsterdamVirtuoso

Hi all,

I'm excited to announce a brand-new instructional course by the great Rino van Hooijdonk!

Rino is a master of Django-style fills — rhythmic accents and other interesting things to play when you're accompanying another soloist. The voicings, the phrasing, the ideas...the "Djangoness."

Fellow Rino fan Nick Sansone here in Amsterdam has been itching to make an instructional course about this "lost art," and I worked with him to produce this course. It's solely about fills, and it launched today.

The material is not quite lead playing, and it's not quite rhythm playing. It's something in between. And to my knowledge there's never been an instructional course devoted to this oft-overlooked aspect of Django's playing.

Our approach was to put Rino in as many musical situations as possible, to provide as many fill ideas as possible.

Have a look at the promo page for lots more information, including the list of tunes:

https://www.soundslice.com/store/django-style-fills/

It's a Soundslice course, which means everything is synced with a transcription in tab and standard notation, plus practice tools like looping/slowdown. It also means a majority of the proceeds go directly to Rino.

Hope you enjoy. I'm obviously biased (having helped put the course together), but I think it's an absolute gold mine.

Adrian
tobolekBarkonatorConorFbillyshakesTubaphonealtonBucoJosechikyMarkAPetrovand 3 others.

Comments

• nicksansonenicksansone Amsterdam, The Netherlands✭✭✭✭
    Rino is the master!
  • billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E
    This looks great!
  • Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
    edited November 2017 Posts: 1,852
    Just bought it... Christmas came early this year!

Congratulations to all of you, Adrian, Nick and Rino, for an outstanding execution of an outstanding idea.

I've been skipping around just to see what's on there, some great stuff!

One question: in the section called "Semitone dissonance" Rino plays a lovely ballad which is unidentified... what's the name of that tune?

adrian
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
  • JosechikyJosechiky
    Just get this course for me!Thanks Adrian!
  • nicksansonenicksansone Amsterdam, The Netherlands✭✭✭✭
    Lango Django.. That's the line Django plays over "What a Difference a Day Made"
  • Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
    Ah! Of course!

Thanks, Nick.
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
    What a great idea!
    As cool as it looks and I'm tempted...one of the more important lessons I got was from Rino when in his Django in June class people asked him to teach the intro to Patrus videos. And he did. And people inevitably kept asking over and over "wait how did that part go". And Rino said, very patiently mind you: "we can do this but it would be much better if you came up with something your own".

Shortcuts are awesome though, thanks guys.
    Jim Kaznoskybillyshakes
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • Just like an elementary school student buying a grad school textbook, I bought it. And inspired.
    Josechiky
  • crookedpinkycrookedpinky Glasgow✭✭✭✭ Alex Bishop D Hole, Altamira M & JWC D hole
    Me too lewischang88
    Josechiky
    always learning
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    Fantastic, Adrian. This is an area that I've really wanted to work on. Will be signing up - thanks!
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles