DjangoBooks.com

Need Advice On Grand Bouche Pickup

Hi gang,

Threads on pickups for these guitars aren't new- so I apologize in advance for creating another one. But I have a somewhat specific question, which hopefully can be answered as well as provide helpful info for others in the same boat.

I recently switched from a petite bouche to a grand bouche Altamira M30, and love the guitar. Compared to the other guitarist's M01 petite bouche I play with, it's a completely different sound- less bright/honky, and thick with more richness in the middle and bottom. When we play loud bar gigs, it's a struggle (especially for my axe) to say the least. Typically, the other guitarist is louder and cutting, and mine has so much mids and bass that it becomes difficult to get situated in the mix. I have found myself running into feedback, and having to turn down the gain, as well as cut all the lows out and even a chunk of the mids!! What pickups are people using on these guitars to eliminate/ease this? We're both currently using Audio-Technica PRO70 Cardiod Condenser clip-on mic's into the PA, and I situate my mic on the lower opening of the sound hole closest to the ground.

Any advise for better mic placement with my current setup, or a pickup that works better in amplifiying the natural sound of this archtop? I've been considering the K&K Trinity, but not sure. Looking for something with adjustable EQ, unless the mic works well with the Altamira.

Thanks for reading,

Mike

Comments

• klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    Clip-on condensers are probably not ideal for bar gigs. They work better in quieter settings. However, if you want to continue using them, try different placements. In concert settings I often use a similar AT831b on my grand bouche Rodrigo Shopis, angling towards the upper bout with the mike slid well down the clip. Gonzalo Bergara has in the past clipped his inside the sound hole, although more recent videos show it on the outside.

The Ischell Inside Box mike is a very good option, although quite a bit pricier. Reasonably good acoustic sound and little or no feedback. It is sensitive to placement, which can vary by guitar. And there's always the magnetic pickup option, such as the Peche a la mouche. Not an acoustic sound, of course, but not bad compared to some others, and zero feedback.
    MichaelHorowitzBuco
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
    Timely for you, look at that iRig thread. People are very positive about the sound it gives and also say that the feedback cancelation feature works well.
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    Buco wrote: »
    Timely for you, look at that iRig thread. People are very positive about the sound it gives and also say that the feedback cancelation feature works well.

I saw that thread after posting my comments on this one and watched a number of YouTube demos. Looks promising. I ordered one and will post my findings after trying it out. I'm also looking for a good miking solution for my archtop in my big band gig. Currently using an AT831b with the AT gooseneck mount.
    Buco
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
    Michael, as I mentioned in another thread, I'm real happy with my Ischell CPJ+ pickup... expensive but worth it! They come up here at DB.com every few months for around $275-300 used.

And it turns out the best tech move I ever made was to mount mine directly underneath the bridge, between the A and D strings.

Since the size of your grande bouche soundhole makes a sample placement in this location fairly easy, I recommend that you try the same setup and see if it works for you, too.

Good luck!

Will
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
  • I saw the iRig thread but I'll probably wait to see what popular opinion is. Like Benny mentioned, I mounted the mic on the opening of the D hole towards the ceiling and had better sonic results last night: Louder lead playing with the rhythm being too loud unless played with a lighter touch.

Will, I may consider that Ischell.. I was also looking at the Trinity K&K. Have you tried that for your Grand Bouche?

Mike
  • Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
    Nope, I've never tried the K & K. I actually don't have a grande bouche but my guitar has a much larger sound hole than the usual Selmer style ones favoured around here, so my tech guy was able to easily stick his hand inside.

But you are wise to wait and see if those iRig pickups are as great as they seem to be.
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."