DjangoBooks.com

How do you deal with (very minor) emotional trauma when your guitar got...

Comments

• Kyle_M_ImlahKyle_M_Imlah Perth, AustraliaNew Shelley Park Modele Encore #332
    Like what the other guys said, adds more character and therefore money. Invite them over more.
    AndrewUlle
    That reminded me of Glen Hansard and his well worn Takamine with extra soundholes.
    After he got his moment of global fame the president of Takamine gifted him with a new guitar at the live show (I don't know which model but I'd guess it was the top of the line right). And actually what's funny is that it wasn't so much that they wanted to treat the guy who put the Takamine name in the spotlight, but they were kinda embarrassed about how beat up his guitar looked and apparently Japanese care a lot about saving face. Glen took the gift and said he was very touched and honored but after a short while went back and continued playing his old guitar.
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • altonalton Keene, NH✭✭ 2000 Dell'Arte Long Scale Anouman, Gadjo Modele Francais, Gitane DG-330 John Jorgensen Tuxedo
    I get around feeling bad about beating a guitar up by buying a guitar that is already pretty well beat up. My most recent plays great, sounds amazing - has a hell of a rash on the soundboard, dings, dents, and general evidence of a tough life of hard pompin'. I am tough on everything that I own, be it tools, clothes, cars, guitars, etc. I just can't have really nice things. So the dents and scratches that I knew I would put on it, and most certainly have put on it, don't bother me one bit.

When I saw this guitar and the wear on it, I knew that the previous owner(s) played the hell out of it because it sounded good and is inspiring to play. It's seventeen years old, and if it was in mint condition, I would wonder why it was never taken out of the case. Poor tone and/or poor workmanship? Uninspiring to play?
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Sure all that is true but if it was me I wouldn't let that guy play any of my instruments. Sheesh.... If I was playing someone else's instrument I would think it would be common courtesy not to scratch it up.
    AndrewUllelewischang88Kyle_M_Imlah
  • terrassierterrassier France
    I bought a AJL XO - it had a few intentional distress marks which I was undecided about ...... anyhow now its becoming a lighter shade where it gets brushed slightly from my finger resting on the top, I momentarily considered a clear pick guard ?!?! the whole thing has left me confused so I am going to let it age naturally from here on in.
  • Bones wrote: »
    Sure all that is true but if it was me I wouldn't let that guy play any of my instruments. Sheesh....

Thank you @Bones for understanding! But it's more or less OK now. Brad Herman's words are healing me effectively. When I looked at the scratches last night, instead of pure heart ache I began to sense a slight tenderness. I have scars and scratches on my body too. It's now part of the character. I look forward to years from now my guitar becomes mellower and HOPEFULLY I become a better jazz manouche player.

But NO! This friend will not touch my guitar again! From now on only ME (and other pre-approved gypsy jazz musicians) will be allowed to add characters to my guitar.
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Yeah if Stochelo scratched my guitar I'd have it framed :-)
  • Bones wrote: »
    Yeah if Stochelo scratched my guitar I'd have it framed :-)
    Now we are venturing into some psychologically bizarre territory!
  • edited October 2017 Posts: 1,231
    Wim Glenn wrote: »
    The first scratch is liberating. Because after that one, you stop caring.
    I was going to say that same thing, but am glad I'm not the only d**k here.

alton
  • plexi69 wrote: »
    Guitars should be bought to be played. Playing them will and should break them in. The best sounding guitars are never the best condition ones. Relax and enjoy.

I agree! And I play mine every day. I just never caused any visible scratches in a year the way my friend did in 10 minutes. Like I said, when I play la pompe, my finger nails and picks do not contact the wood.

Anyway, c'est la vie. And I appreciated everyone's response.