DjangoBooks.com

Soundport. I did it!

2»

Comments

• Elí SaúlElí Saúl Toluca, Mexico.New Dell'Arte DG-H2
    edited September 2017 Posts: 104
    That's interesting, personally I've never tried a guitar with a soundport as you call it, but I can imagine the benefits you mention.

there's some luthiers here in Mexico that offer it as an option for many of their models:
    https://guitarramanouche.com.mx/ms.html

they look pretty eyecandy, though i have never tried their soundport models.
    The ones i've tried are pretty loud and nice sounding, although they can kinda sound like banjo, it's a bit hard to describe one must play it or hear it acoustically.
    Buco
    Those are some beautiful looking guitars.

I know what you mean by banjo sounding, you can hear it on some vintage recordings. Although I wonder if it's the case of lost in translation because what you hear from I think is more of a playing technique and maybe the recording quality and then luthiers are trying to voice their instruments following this sound as a template.
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • edited September 2017 Posts: 4,738
    The latest from the soundport workshop.
    Still liking it a lot.

1ArPnja.jpg
    pickitjohnPetrovKyle_M_Imlah
  • BillDaCostaWilliamsBillDaCostaWilliams Barreiro, Portugal✭✭✭ Mateos, Altamira M01F, Huttl
    Well done - looking good now, Buco!
    And thanks for sharing the various steps of the process - quite illuminating.
    Thanks Bill. Rolling off the edges and several layers of clear coat made it much more professional looking. I'd still like to match the color, hopefully eventually.
  • MatteoMatteo Sweden✭✭✭✭ JWC Modele Jazz, Lottonen "Selmer-Maccaferri"
    edited September 2017 Posts: 393
    Well done! It looks really good. I just found this on the French forum; a few ideas to take it a bit further, perhaps. ;)

ShemiBucoaltonpickitjohn
  • edited September 2017 Posts: 4,738
    Thanks man.

That's brilliant!
    But I'm surprised there isn't a 9V fan to cool off during a hot summer jam.
  • altonalton Keene, NH✭✭ 2000 Dell'Arte Long Scale Anouman, Gadjo Modele Francais, Gitane DG-330 John Jorgensen Tuxedo
    That's hilarious! Who is that?
    A couple of people asked me about the wood chipping.
    I got a few very small chips but nothing concerning.

What you need to do is use a sharp bit at a high drill speed and let the bit feed itself with a minimal pressure on the drill.
    What I do is press a little, see what the bit does, release, repeat a few times and find a middle ground where the bit is still feeding through with just a little help from the hand pressure.

Still keep doing push and release technique so that when the bit is exiting the wood the chances are you won't be pushing on it and that way you won't chip the wood.