DjangoBooks.com

Questions about "Blues 47"

edited April 2006 in Gypsy Picking Posts: 145
I'm talking about the last etude that Michael wrote for Gypsy Picking.

I've noticed that in bar 30, there's a string change that goes from a downstroke on the high E string to an upstroke on the B string. Is this a misprint? Or am I supposed to do a "blank" downstroke on the B string so I can rest on the high E and get that upstroke on the triplet?

Same kind of thing happens on bar 35. A down stroke on the G string followed by an upstroke on the D string.

On a side note:

It's been about a year now since I've bought this book and have finally started to feel like i'm absorbing this stuff. Triplet based licks still need a lot of work though. The picking patterns that use consecutive picking on the high e is tough since the movement becomes so much bigger because of the hand falling through the string.

I'm really starting to enjoy this process though. I've had many discouraging moments through this learning process. I've had to deal with RSI (which resulted in weakened thumb and wrist pains), a teacher up at jazz school discouraging me from pursuing this music (in hind sight, he is probably right though that there isn't much room for this music in the modern stream), and just simple frustration.

However, I've persevered and finally starting to feel like I'm reaping the rewards: A more "natural" feel for the guitar, patience with technique, finally another Django enthusiast to jam with, and my first gig coming up soon. So I offer encouragement to those who are still struggling and feel like they're going nowhere. Just hang in there and it'll pay off.

*END meaningless talk*

Comments

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    I'm talking about the last etude that Michael wrote for Gypsy Picking.

I've noticed that in bar 30, there's a string change that goes from a downstroke on the high E string to an upstroke on the B string. Is this a misprint? Or am I supposed to do a "blank" downstroke on the B string so I can rest on the high E and get that upstroke on the triplet?

Same kind of thing happens on bar 35. A down stroke on the G string followed by an upstroke on the D string.

In both cases there is a rest before the upstroke....so it's a "prepared" upstroke which is OK. Most of the time I actually play those as all downs anyway. But some players will use an upstroke in that situation, so that's why I wrote it like that.

Glad to hear you're persevering at getting some results...keep up the good work!

-Michael