Logo
Call Us
Categories

DjangoBooks.com

Welcome to our Community!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Today's Birthday

Stephane

Who's Online (1)

• swamlepow 12:27AM

Krivo Djangobucker pickup

Does anyone have experience of the Krivo Djangobucker pickup? My local guitar shop has just taken stock of them so I went down this morning to have a demonstration, but the guys there don't know what to do with them and they don't come with instructions (and the online instructions don't really help). I'm putting this on my D-Hole - when we tried it in the shop the sound was very unbalanced, with loud trebly top strings and quiet bass strings, almost as if someone had whacked up the treble to 11 and turned the bass to 0. We fiddled for ages with the adjustable poles but couldn't get any improvement in the sound. We also tried two different pickups with the same results -oddly in both cases two of the poles were loose in the packet. We put the pickup just below the D-hole, flush to the edge, with each pole under a string. I think we must have been doing something wrong here so any help from experienced Krivo users will be very appreciated!

Comments

• Only thing I can think of is to line up the pickup with the strings correctly.
    There should be a line on the side of the pickup that indicates the B string position, the two should line up. Other than that it's straight forward, plug and play.
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • jonpowljonpowl Santa Cruz, CA✭✭✭ Dupont MD-100, Cigano GJ-10
    I tried the Nuevo and Djangobucker and they both sounded great on my Dupont petite bouche. I ended up keeping the Nuevo single coil as I liked the sound and the smaller profile. Was the pickup mounted near the neck or the bridge? Did you have the cord going to the bottom of the guitar? With the Nuevo single coil, you align the dot with the B string. You can probably contact Jason directly as he is a very nice guy. Here is a link to an installation demo:
  • ScoredogScoredog Santa Barbara, Ca✭✭✭✭
    edited June 14
    I really like my Krivobucker. If I lost it i'd replace with the same. That said I was never comfortable with it on my D hole, just seemed like it needed more space. On the oval it's fine.

I should add the main reason why i kept the Krivo is after having a Peche and trying the Guzz The Krivo had the most balanced sound by a long shot. Now maybe I had a bad Peche but the E string was always very weak compared to the B. My Krivo is very well balanced...it's just finding the correct placement on the guitar, or at least it was for me. The other reason I like it is though it's magnetic it sounds to my ears more acoustic than the other pickups. If you want more of that Django electric sound I'd go with a different pick up.
  • ConorFConorF Cheshire JWC Catania Swing
    edited June 15
    Hi Stuart

Robin Nolan was playing one of these through an AER at the Django's Legacy II concert. Its sounded great.

It was mounted at the neck on the Leo Eimers "Djangus" guitar.
  • Thanks everyone. It was mounted as near as to the neck as you can get with a D-hole, basically flush to the hole but still under the hole, so not that far from the bridge really. The djangobucker I tried doesn't have a dot to line the B string up with but I had each pole under a string. The cable came out at the bottom so the treble poles are nearer the neck than the bass poles. (Interestingly the treble poles are staggered on all the photos I've seen but they are in a straight-line on the ones stocked by my shop). Good idea about emailing Jason, I will try that.
  • I got in touch with Jason and so did the store and we figured out what we were doing wrong - all was quickly put right, it's a great pickup with a warm acoustic tone. I gigged it last night and the pickup got more attention than I did. For people in the UK, Promenade Music in Morecambe is the only UK stockist and has the full range of Krivo pickups: wwww.promenademusic.co.uk
  • crookedpinkycrookedpinky Glasgow✭✭✭✭ Alex Bishop D Hole,Gitane DG250m, Manouche Moreno, Anastasio,
    Hi Stuart it would be great to what you were doing wrong as I have the same issue with my Krivo
    always learning
  • The main problem was that the shop put the two spare poles into the E and B holes on the pickup. It's an easy mistake to make -- out of the packet it looks like the poles are missing and there are two loose poles that come with it. But the poles are there, they are just recessed to reduce volume on the treble strings and the two loose poles are simply spares.

The other thing we did was experiment with the placement of the humbucker. We originally had it sitting just under the D-Hole, which is quite close to the bridge. As the shop had put the putty in the middle of the pickup, it was slightly tilted with the effect that the treble poles were closer to the strings. We positioned the humbucker so that it was halfway over the hole with the putty on the back corners so there was no tilting.

Hope this helps Alan. If you haven't done so already, try emailing Jason - he got back to me the same day and also spoke to the guys at Promenade so I think he will be keen to help.
  • Promnade is an amazing music store. Definitely worth a visit if one is in the Lancaster/Morecambe area
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • It is indeed - I put the wrong web address in my earlier post, it should be http://www.promenademusic.co.uk