DjangoBooks.com

Modify Dupont Bridge?

ChiefbigeasyChiefbigeasy New Orleans, LA✭✭✭ Dupont MDC 50; The Loar LH6, AJL Silent Guitar
Have been thinking of picking up an extra Dupont bridge as a second for weather changes (so far the one has been just fine, though). After seeing the new Christiaan Quick Tips video about guitar setup, I've been wondering whether anyone has ever felt the need modify a new Dupont bridge by shaving, hollowing out, i.e., making it lighter.

Bob, Josh, anyone? Any thoughts/experience modifying a Dupont bridge?

Comments

My understanding is they're already made optimally light, no modifications needed.
    t-bird
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
    edited June 2017 Posts: 1,454
    Well here's some pics so you can see for yourself. I don't think they're as light as possible. The other beat up old bridge is the one from my Barault, they're pretty similar shape but it's slightly more hollowed out underneath (you can see on the side pic, #4, the clearance is much different). I haven't notched the Dupont yet, it's brand new, so can't comment on the sound as yet.
    And here's a vid

• JoseJose Minneapolis New DuPont MD 50

Hi Wim, did you made that Dupont bridge lighter? I would like to know if the sound improved in the Dupont Bridge.

edited June 2019 Posts: 1,454

No I did not make it lighter, used it as is (apart from cutting the notches for strings). The sound was neither better nor worse - I did not notice any difference in sound by changing the bridge.