Logo
Call Us
Categories

DjangoBooks.com

Welcome to our Community!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Today's Birthday

ericdaffron

Who's Online (4)

• Chicago 5:06PM
  • Michael Bauer 5:06PM
  • Petrov 5:06PM
  • Wim Glenn 5:06PM

Difference between D Hole and Oval model necks - if any

I recently purchased a Latcho Drom Manouche D-Hole. The neck feels different, flatter, than a Manouche Latcho Drom Nuages Oval-hole that I had a few years back. Am I correct in my assumption? I don't remember the Nuages model's neck being flat. I thought it filled my hand more.

Thanks for any insight.
Monte

Comments

• I don't know about these particular guitars but necks do vary across gypsy guitars - in fact, gypsy guitars in general are much more varied than you would think from looking at pictures on the internet. I believe the original Maccafferris (the D-Holes) had a fat neck, probably because there was no truss rod. The video of Django's later Selmer (the Oval-hole) posted here recently showed a much thinner neck, much better for faster playing. I have two D-holes, one with a fat neck and the other with a thinner neck.
  • Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • montemonte ‚ú≠
    thanks. i guess my guitar has a flat D shaped neck. it is not terrible to play. i just wanted to know why i was feeling the different neck shape from the same manufacture.
  • richter4208richter4208 ‚ú≠‚ú≠‚ú≠
    Here's my understanding. The Manouche Latcho Drom guitars are exactly the same guitar as a Altamira guitars only difference is setup in USA different hardware, bridge etc....but same guitar otherwise. That being said, the Altamira/Latcho Drom guitars were revamped at some point and the neck shape is now rounded rather than flat d shape like yours. Sounds like you got one that was made several years (even if you bought it new) and it is the older style neck. By the way, I have the same guitar only its an Altamira (upgraded tuners/bridge fretwork etc done by awesome luthier in nashville) with the flat D shape neck. I took a while but I totally got used to it. Its awesome and it WILL work for you give enough play time. Stick with it. I just got an AJL guitar with a super fast C shape neck and honestly I can play the same on either neck, it's all what you are used to. Good luck.
    Buco
  • montemonte ‚ú≠
    @richter - mine was built 2011. so you may be correct in your statement. i am playing it, still feels funky but i am sticking with it. at some point, i plan to either upgrade or maybe just pickup an oval hole version. right now, i i just need to play and learn :)
    Matteo
  • Andrew UlleAndrew Ulle Cleveland, OH‚ú≠‚ú≠‚ú≠ Antoine DiMauro modele Django
    I had a guitar with the flattened-D shaped neck, and it took a long time to get used to the shoulders on the neck. It made it difficult to use my thumb on the low E, and if I had kept that guitar, I would have had the neck planed down just enough to round the corners off.