DjangoBooks.com

Handmade guitars in the UK - anybody has got suggestions on different luthiers?

I am looking into buying a handmade GJ guitar, moving up from my Dell'Arte Robin Nolan.
I came across some names (JWC, Alex Bishop, Ian Meredith) but I was wondering if anybody has specific recommendations and comments on the quality of guitars made by UK luthiers.

Comments

• wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
    Nothing against English luthiers, but it's only a 2.5 hours train ride to see many of the best gypsy guitars in the world - don't be shy to widen your horizon a little.. :)
    Mehran s
  • Brad HermanBrad Herman San Francisco, CANew JWC Modele Jazz, Stankevicius Alena, Alexander Polyakov Selmer #6
    I love my JWC is all I can say... When doing my research, mostly everyone said it was easily the best deal in the GJ guitar world. Since getting mine, I have zero complaints and am in love with it.
  • crookedpinkycrookedpinky Glasgow✭✭✭✭ Alex Bishop D Hole, Altamira M & JWC D hole
    I can't say enough about Alex Bishop and his guitar making skills. Easily the best by far for me. I've tried Eimers, Le Voi's, and a heap of others. I also tried a JWC F hole at the weekend and that was another cracker for the money. And Stuarts Aylward is another cracker.
    always learning
  • ConorFConorF Cheshire JWC Catania Swing
    As per Stuart's post, all three make great guitars.

I'm the JWC agent for the North West of England.

I also live very near Ian Meredith and we're very good friends. If you live in the North West you'd be more than welcome to come and try a few guitars.

I'd be happy to arrange for Ian to come over and bring a few of his guitars also.

Conor
    Andrea Vergani
  • I have played Stuart's Aylward too and it is indeed a lovely instrument Very responsive as I recall
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
    Thanks everybody for your comments - as far as the trip to Paris, it's not just 2 hrs and half indeed :) Also I think the problem with gipsy jazz guitar is that they are difficult to find so I would be more than happy to promote local luthier as well! Thanks Conor F, I have been in touch with Ian, I am based in London and I am not sure when could I come up north. Been thinking to jsut go for it and get one guitar :D A bit risky but that is also what I ahve done with my Dell'Arte. If I like that one I bet I would love any handmade guitar :)
    Andrea, you'd not go wrong with Ian Meredith. As Stuart has just posted his latest is a real beauty!

Hope I'll hear it on Friday when I'm jamming with him :-)
    Andrea Vergani
    Oh well, I have just gone for it, guitar has been paid and I should receive it next week! If you guys are gonna meet up with Ian, tell him that I am really excited and I am looking forward to play his guitar! Andrea, the guy from London. He will know :D I will post again as soon as I will try it!
    NoneBucoJojoConorF
    Is it the one from the picture?
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
    Hi Andrea, that's great. I heard the guitar on Friday and its ace! Enjoy :-)
    Andrea Vergani