DjangoBooks.com

Visiting Amsterdam Tue Apr 11 to Mon Apr 17

Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
in Eddie Lang Club Posts: 1,855
Hello,

Just a shout out to Dutch GJ fans: I'd love to know the whereabouts of any clubs in Amsterdam that feature GJ.

I believe English guitar ace Robin Nolan lives there now?

And I'd be especially thrilled if there were a venue where I could go see my guitar hero Rino van Hooijdonk play!

Thanks,

Will Wilson
Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."

Comments

• jonpowljonpowl Hercules, CA✭✭✭ Dupont MD-100, Altamira M01F
    edited March 2017 Posts: 705
    You can follow Irene Ypenburg on Facebook, as she seems to play regularly around Amsterdam when she is not jetting around the world playing and documenting gypsy jazz. If you message her, she would probably answer with info about GJ in Amsterdam, she is quite accessible.
    I just noticed that Reinier Voet also advertises his Amsterdam gigs on Facebook.
  • adrianadrian AmsterdamVirtuoso
    Reinier Voet plays every Sunday afternoon from 3:30 to 6 at the IJ Kantine. Sometimes other lead guitarists sub on this gig, as he's currently on tour.

Zoltan Kisak plays every Thursday at Hiding In Plain Sight (an excellent cocktail bar) from 9 p.m. to midnight.

Jan de Jong occasionally plays Sunday evenings at De Vergulde Gaper (http://deverguldegaper.nl/en).

Cafe Langereis has gypsy jazz some Tuesdays (and sometimes it's a jam), depending on the week.

De Pianist has gypsy jazz sometimes. Check the online schedule, which'll be posted around April 1. http://www.cafedepianist.nl/agenda.html

Also check out the websites for Thomas Baggerman (http://www.thomasbaggermantrio.com/) and Eva Sur Seine (http://www.evasurseine.com/). They don't play in Amsterdam often, but you might get lucky!
  • nicksansonenicksansone Amsterdam, The Netherlands✭✭✭✭
    The Gaper's music season is over. Jan may play at the Molenpad during April, but it's not sure yet.
  • Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
    edited March 2017 Posts: 1,855
    Thanks, everyone. Those of you who live in Amsterdam, please PM me if you might have time to get together for some jamming. Unfortunately, I'd need to play one of your spare guitars because I'm not bringing one with me.

Thanks to Juan Sandman, I met a bunch of great players when I went to Samois in 2015, including this young Dutch lady who is about my daughter's age!!! Does anybody recognize her?

Will
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
  • nicksansonenicksansone Amsterdam, The Netherlands✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017 Posts: 274
    The picture is of Tessa S. She lives in Breda which is about 1.5 hours south by car from Amsterdam.
  • Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
    Thanks, Nick. I've just deleted her photo and last name... can't be too careful nowadays.
    Matteo