DjangoBooks.com

Incredible rhythm study

edited February 2017 in Gypsy Jazz 101 Posts: 4,723
OK, for a while I thought to include the link to this video to one of the bountiful topics discussing rhythm playing, but I think this performance is so amazing that it needs to be a headliner.

The rhythm playing with it's intricacies is always a topic discussed often but it always seems to leave people split on two sides, one saying "be straight and solid!" and the other "it's so bland, like a chilly without vinegar!"

Especially this question which I thought was the one very easy for several people to be on a far extremes of a conversation while possibly trying to convey the same thing more or less which is staying solid on a beat, not making too many liberal choices so that the rhythm never steps on soloist, yet extremely dynamic, fun, conversational, far from boring.
Here it it answering all those questions and pleasing both sides of the field, Sebastien Giniaux and Mathieu Chatelain from Samois 2015, casual jam but one of the most stunning performances I've heard in the genre, Mathieu showing you everything you need to know:

Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
JosechikyJazzaferrit-birdBluesBop Harry

Comments

• kungfumonk007kungfumonk007 ✭✭✭✭
    My goodness Sebastian is beautiful
  • Two very fine musicians indeed.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • Bob HoloBob Holo Moderator
    Hmmmm. wow. That's genuine communication. Both of them fully in service of the music. Stunning - no words for it. Thanks for posting - I hadn't seen this.
    You get one chance to enjoy this day, but if you're doing it right, that's enough.
  • terrassierterrassier France
    I have had that on my phone play list for a while now - its inspirational stuff - also there is a vid in the same tent with Rocky gresset along Sebastian and Mathieu that's great too.
  • edited February 2017 Posts: 4,723
    This whole thing could easily be official live album. I guess in this day it already kinda is. I didn't think about taking the audio only, I could listen to this over and over again.

If you listen carefully to Mathieu though, you'll hear how subtle he is about changing the dynamics of his rhythm, making accents a touch shorter or a touch longer but making a world of difference in making it lively and in the service of music at the same time. And he also varies the voicings quite a bit but always staying in the pocket.

@terrassier it could've been you that turned me onto these. Yeah the one with Rocky is fantastic but this duo has something uniquely special about it.
    JazzaferriJosechiky
  • Russell LetsonRussell Letson Prodigy
    Playing backup in a duo setting gives the "rhythm" player a lot of space to do more than keep time--it is much more of a conversation than it would be in a larger group. Note that in the classic five-piece Hot Club lineup, the rhythm section does just keep time, and it's Django whose comping behind Grappelli includes fills and accents. On the other hand, in a Basie-style big band, the guitarist's role is not to show off but to lock in with the bass and let the drummer and/or piano add accents.
    Yeah but I don't think Mathieu is changing his game whether he plays duo or several players. He doesn't do thrills or stabs or similar liberties that a soloist guitarist might when accompanying others.
  • kungfumonk007kungfumonk007 ✭✭✭✭
    Those kinds of things are very very subtle compared to the obnoxious heavy handed over the top accompaniment of a "Jazz Studies" quartet (If people can't tell I am proudly bitter and anti-jazz studies).
  • An artist is going to be an artist no matter what genre. As opposed to heavy handed over the top.

Ed Bickert is a lovely jazz guitarist who comps beautifully and sensitively. Listen to his backing (and solo for that matter) of Paul Desmond 's version of Nuages. Django would have loved it I am sure.

I could name more but you get my drift.
    Buco
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • JojoJojo London UK
    Amazing stuff! Does anybody know the songs being played (I recognise a few but not all)?