DjangoBooks.com

Back for a Gretsch Electromatic G5222 5 Watt Amp

jonpowljonpowl Hercules, CA✭✭✭ Dupont MD-100, Altamira M01F
I just bought a used Gretsch Electromatic G5222 amp that is missing the back piece, and the screws. I am looking to buy the back, covered with tweed, or plain. Even a template would be ideal, then I could make my own. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• woodamandwoodamand Portland, OR✭✭✭ 2015 JWC Favino replica
    Cool looking amp - do you miss having any sort of tone control?
  • jonpowljonpowl Hercules, CA✭✭✭ Dupont MD-100, Altamira M01F
    @woodamand I'm sure I will, but I have a Blues Jr. for tone control. I haven't tried this one with the Krivo, yet, but I have tried the Krivo Nuevo with my Epiphone Valve Junior Head 5W (no tone control) thru an old Fender Blonde 2x12" Bandmaster cab, and it sounds fine to me. When you're jamming acoustically with friends, do you miss the tone control? I am having trouble getting the sound I want with a Fishman Loudbox Mini, probably because of the tweeter. I love the sound of the tube amps and I wanted something compact and lightweight.
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Yeah a scrap of plywood and some tweed ought to do the trick if you can find some tweed that matches.
    The depth looks like it might be 1/4" rather than plywood depth. I am hoping somebody might have one from a destroyed cab, even a Fender Champion 600. Otherwise, I've found a couple of cabinet builders, one near Santa Cruz, who may be able to help. Of course an original may help the value.
  • BonesBones Moderator
    I have lots of 1/4" veneer ply. Stop by SB and I'll give u a piece and we can jam and have a cup of joe! :-)

Or u can maybe find a bit of scrap wood paneling...
    Thanks, Bones. I haven't been that far south in years, but if I do, I will definitely stop by.
  • Is the back solid or vented? Hardbord 1/8" with the tweed bonded to it (including wrapping the edges) should fit in a 1/4" indent nicely.
    jonpowl
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed