DjangoBooks.com

Minimal temperature

Hello all,
I've got a temperature question. I remember watching Yo-Yo Ma perform at Obama's inauguration 4 years ago in sub-zero (Celsius) temperature (maybe 20 degrees Fahrenheit) outdoors on the steps of the capital building. I think he fake-played it, but his cello was still exposed to very low temperature and probably no humidity.

My question is, what is the minimal temperature before it gets too cold for you to play your good guitar outdoors? Or is it the humidity that worries you more, not the temperature?

Thanks.

Comments

• Craig BumgarnerCraig Bumgarner Drayden, MarylandVirtuoso Bumgarner S/N 001
    edited January 2017 Posts: 795
    Me thinks cold is much less of a problem than heat, for a guitar at least. Outdoors, the humidity level is not that low, compared the cold air heated up in a living space. I had a Les Paul finish crackle after an overnight in a van in Vermont at 20 below, but otherwise never had a problem with cold on the guitar. Course my fingers lock up in the low 40s. Have done lots of cold weather outside gigs, 40F is about my limit for a 40 minute set.

Keep in mind the humidity level outside in cold weather is much higher than when that cold air is heated up inside. I keep humidity gauges in both my heated and unheated shops. With no humidity control in the unheated shop, the RH runs 50-90% most of the time.
    Bucolewischang88