DjangoBooks.com

feedback on Gitane DG-455

howdy friends,

it's been a while since i've been on here, but i'm looking for feedback on this thinline gitane that's been out for a while now. i haven't seen much on the forum about these, so i'm looking for any info on this guitar.

the short story is that i messed up my shoulder and have problems playing full bodied acoustic guitars, and especially, gypsy jazz rhythm guitar for long periods of time. i switched to electric for a while, but i'm starting to get back into gypsy jazz, but still have the same shoulder issues.

i've owned many models of gitane and several duponts. i currently have the dimauro style dupont chorus model, but really want something that has the feel (action, neck angle, argentines, etc) without the depth. i also like the idea of the pickup/electric sound.

would love to hear any thoughts, good or bad about this guitar!

Comments

• edited December 2016 Posts: 4,737
    I never even heard of this model before.
    Angelo played something similar years ago, notably on Django fest NY '05.
    I forgot who made it and I couldn't dig it out now but it's this guitar (good shot of it at 2'12"):

A couple of reviews on Amazon, one hates it and one loves it. Both buyers seem to have experience with GJ guitars:
    https://www.amazon.com/Gitane-DG-455-Professional-Gypsy-Guitar/dp/B003C80BEW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1482332555&sr=8-1&keywords=gitane+dg455
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • juandererjuanderer New ALD Original, Manouche Latcho Drom Djangology Koa, Caro y Topete AR 740 O
    Buco wrote: »
    Angelo played something similar years ago, notably on Django fest NY '05.
    I forgot who made it and I couldn't dig it out now but it's this guitar (good shot of it at 2'12"):

ALD made that guitar for Angelo.
    BucoMichaelHorowitz
  • t-birdt-bird Portland, Oregon Castelluccia Nuages, Dupont Nomade
    [/quote]

ALD made that guitar for Angelo.[/quote]

If it is indeed the same guitar, there is a cool short film where Angelo goes to the ALD workshop and has some work done to it.

There is also an @adrian soundslice transcription of a chordal walk down from the movie.
    https://www.soundslice.com/scores/29330/
    AndrewUlle
  • everetteverett san francisco✭✭✭
    wow i would love to get my hands on one of those ALDs! If anyone's interested in trades, I have this dupont f-hole that i might consider...
    for anyone that's interested, I got to spend some time with this guitar. I live in San Francisco, near the Saga warehouse, and they brought one of these guitars to the local music shop for me.

It pretty much plays like a decent gitane. Acoustically, it has a surprisingly decent sound but maybe not crazy loud for a big jam session or an unplugged gig larger than a duo in a cafe.

I didn't quite understand the fishman aura system. It sounded ok, but the different settings felt random. I would rather just have this built as an acoustic and use a stimer, peche a la mouche, or krivo style, like the Angelo's ALD. the aura system didn't sound bad, and maybe through the right amp it'd be cool.

it seems pretty expensive though for what it is. It kind of plays like a dg 255, and it's more than a stephane wrembel gitane which is my favorite sounding and playing model.

I was hoping the thinner body would be ok for my shoulder, but unfortunately it's still uncomfortable. I think it's more about the bout size. Maybe if I played this with a strap it would pretty much be like a hollowbody electric..

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    everett wrote: »
    I didn't quite understand the fishman aura system. It sounded ok, but the different settings felt random. I would rather just have this built as an acoustic and use a stimer, peche a la mouche, or krivo style, like the Angelo's ALD. the aura system didn't sound bad, and maybe through the right amp it'd be cool.

That has generally been the consensus with most people. You're better off just getting a regular Gypsy guitar and using one of the tried and true pickup systems for Gypsy jazz (i.e. Stimer, Bigtone, etc.)
    You're better off just getting a regular Gypsy guitar and using one of the tried and true pickup systems for Gypsy jazz (i.e. Stimer, Bigtone, etc.)

Michael, do you ever get those ALD electro swing guitars in? I'm mainly looking for a guitar that's more comfortable with my shoulder injury.
  • AndrewUlleAndrewUlle Cleveland, OH✭✭✭ Cigano GJ-15
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    @everett I don't stock them regularly but I'd be happy to include one in my next order with ALD. Let me know if you'd like to do that...
    I would love to know more about them before I can commit @MichaelHorowitz . Do you know more about their regular models? http://www.aldguitaremanouche.com/model/es_sap.php

or the f-hole ones seem cool. I love my dupont DM 50, but but would love a thinline/hollowbody style guitar.