DjangoBooks.com

yorgui's pick

2»

Comments

• pdaiglepdaigle Montreal, QCNew
    I know Ritary was using the round edge of a 1.5mm Dunlop when he came to Montreal last week.
  • AndreasObergAndreasOberg Stockholm,SwedenModerator
    Maybe Gary switched to Wegen..last time I played with him he was using the Big Stubby.

Yorgui was using the Dunlop 1.5mm on those vids that "a" mentioned. Yorgui is definately one of the loudest players out there.

I mostly use plastic picks from Dunlop..I like one that's even thinner and softer than the 1,5 mm. I know that Wawau Adler uses a really soft pick that creates a round warm sound.

I think that you can use almost any pick if you've got a powerful right hand.

Best Regards
    Andreas
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    pdaigle wrote:
    I know Ritary was using the round edge of a 1.5mm Dunlop when he came to Montreal last week.

it depends what's going on, if he's playing in ideal conditions that is what he uses... but if it's a jam session and people are blasting over eachother, he takes out it his war pick, a dugain.....
  • aa New York City✭✭✭✭
    wow. It's really amazing to me that everyone uses these slim picks. But, do they use the round edge or the pointy edge? I don't know if it's possible to get more than that bright, spanky tone with the pointy edge. If Yorgui gets that sound with round edge, that's even more incredible. I have a feeling that Bireli just uses the pointy edge. I asked how he holds the pick and he said something like: "It's nothing special, just like everyone else."

I feel like I'm getting more from the guitar when i use the round edge...

Without re-creating the thread on thin picks here, I think Django probably used them as well because he has almost zero pick noise.

check out this picture of mod dunlop that i use...it gets a thick, creamy, dark tone with very clear note definition (like early rosenberg). it's got that upright-bass sort of sound, and you really have to work hard to make the guitar scream with it.
    Www.alexsimonmusic.com
    Learn how to play Gypsy guitar:
    http://alexsimonmusic.com/learn-gypsy-jazz-guitar/
  • nwilkinsnwilkins New
    there are some shots on the Vienne DVD that clearly show Bireli using the rounded corner, not the tip. But that doesn't mean he always does.