DjangoBooks.com

Welcome to our Community!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Who's Online (1)

• geese_com 3:46PM

Related Discussions

Today's Birthdays

ssabbagh guitarjamr

For Michael and Ted

pallopennapallopenna Rhode IslandNew
edited June 2006 in History Posts: 245
Michael and Ted,

I'm interested in hearing about how both of you originally came to this music. What made you pursue it in the way you have? I'm always fascinated to hear people's histories.

Thanks,

-Paul
Reject the null hypothesis.

Comments

• BarengeroBarengero Auda CityProdigy
    Great Topic, Paul!

I would love to see Scot and Jack included in this inquiry…

Best,
    Barengero
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Hi Paul...I first heard django back in when I was in High School (1989). A fiddler I knew played him for me....I'll never forget that day. Unfortunately, DjanoBooks didn't exist back then (ha ha), so it was really difficult to learn the style. I did a lot of transcribing over the years...but most of my performing was straight-ahead jazz. There was simply no outlet for this music back then...

Anyway, I got a Fulbright grant to study this music in Europe in 2001. That gave me the opportunity to study this music with some of the Gypsy masters of the style.

'm
  • Ted GottsegenTed Gottsegen Rowayton, CTModerator
    Oh dear...I just saw this post...almost two months late! My apologies!

I came to this music because I was looking for something that had the excitement of jazz, was guitar based and was performed almost exclusively on acoustic instruments (you can't hide when playing acoustic!) by players that I could see in person so this was the perfect fit. I'll admit that it took a little while getting used to Django after listening to Grant Green, though. I knew that I'd made the right decision when; while baracaded in my New York apartment during a severe Nor Easter, my Dupont and first gypsy jazz care package from Europe arrived within a hour of one another.

I pursued it simply because once the bug bit, it bit hard. I saw that Angelo recorded "La Gitane" by Tchan-Tchou...it made me wonder who Tchan-Tchou was. Jacques Montagne recorded with Matelo, Baro and Joseph Reinhardt...it made me think that there was something to this guy if he was in such heavy company. Curiousity killed the cat!

Best,

Ted