Logo
Call Us
Categories

DjangoBooks.com

Welcome to our Community!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Today's Birthdays

gcw philou Zouny1 brians356

Related Discussions

Who's Online (1)

• jonpowl 6:08PM

Home Recording: Any Advice?

edited November 2016 in Recording
Hello fellow Djangophiles,

I have decided to make a little recording in my modest home studio (a.k.a my desk).

My setup:

Windows 7 PC
Reaper v5.29/64x
M-Audio Fast Track Pro Interface

Mics:
* Audio-Technica AT 831b
* Shure SM57

Guitar:
* Gitane DG-500

I have no real experience with the technical aspects of recording so I was wondering if anybody had some advice relating to a a good positioning of the microphones. When I play live, I use the AT clamped to the sound hole, with the mic pointing into the guitar towards the ground in order to minimize feedback. This setup resulted in a quite dull sound when I recorded it, however. I got the best sound, so far, when clamping the mic to the sound hole on the outside with the mic point towards the bridge (see attached file). The main problem with this is that the signal is relatively weak.

So my questions are:

* What's the best position for the AT? Could I offset the weak signal using some effect (something similar to normalization in audacity)?
* What's a good position for the Shure ? (I haven't used it so far.)
* Do you have any other suggestions, do's, don'ts etc.?
* Should I balance rhythm and solo guitar left/right?
* Should I use reverb?

For the bass a friend recommended simply using a clean guitar signal with an octaver effect. Good idea? Bad idea? Any advice?

EDIT: To clarify: I want to record rhythm guitar, solo guitar as well a bass. Alternatively, I could borrow a Fender Jazz Bass from a friend.

Thanks!

Cheers,
Lennart

Tagged:

Comments

• crookedpinkycrookedpinky Glasgow✭✭✭✭ Alex Bishop D Hole, Anastasio, Godefroy Maruejouls
    Hi there. Can I ask how are you connecting the AT mic ? I would give the Shure a try and I would suggest placing it about 12 inches away from the guitar pointing roughly at 12th fret. I wouldn't recommend boosting a weak signal with using an effect as you run the risk of boosting any background noise as well, you need to get a decent level into Reaper in the first place. As for reverb that's really up to you. I use Reaper but have a small mixing desk which lets me add reverb to the signal I monitor but not to the signal being recorded. I would recommend using a real bass as octave boxes never sound quite right to my ears. And as for left right balance again that's up to you but why not just go with a mono mix, after all you only have three sound sources and, don't forget, all of Djangos recording would have been in mono.
    always learning
  • bluetrainbluetrain Finland✭✭✭ Barault, Cach, Epiphone Triumph 1956
    Maybe you could try your AT mic so that you attach it to something similar to mic stand and put it in front of your guitar. Then you would get more natural sound. Then you can make adjustements for the distance and the point where it points. Usually many guys put the mic in front of the 14th fret and point it towards the 14th fret or towards the soundhole which gives more bass. As far as mixing goes you have to listen to your favourite records and try to imitate the stereo field they have.
  • My experience with SM57's leads me to say that it would not be my mic of choice for acoustic guitar. Too much colour. The goal in acoustic and much of amplified recording is to get as pure and clear a signal as possible with no eq or effects Effects and eq are best added after, then you can change them as needed. Once you record with an effect its fixed in there.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • Zoom h2.

Simple. Great quality.

Or!!

Tascam portastudio mini....cassette tape ftw.